1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistant Pay Scales

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by streetparade, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Hi,

I've a couple of questions about TAs pay. Can anyone help me?

Does a TA automatically move from a Level 1 to Level 2 to Level 3. Or do they stop when they reach the top of their scale (for their level)?

Can a school promote a Level 1 TA to a Level 2 or Level 3 one? Or alternativley bump them up the pay spine (within their current level).

We have a very skilled, qualified and valued TA on a lowly level of the pay spine and I'd like to give them a pay rise.

Can a school do this bearing in mind equal opportunites etc?

Many thanks

2. Hi,

I've a couple of questions about TAs pay. Can anyone help me?

Does a TA automatically move from a Level 1 to Level 2 to Level 3. Or do they stop when they reach the top of their scale (for their level)?

Can a school promote a Level 1 TA to a Level 2 or Level 3 one? Or alternativley bump them up the pay spine (within their current level).

We have a very skilled, qualified and valued TA on a lowly level of the pay spine and I'd like to give them a pay rise.

Can a school do this bearing in mind equal opportunites etc?

Many thanks

3. Hi Streetparade:-

1. No, you don't automatically move from a grade 1 to 2 when you reach the top of the scale. Its the job spec that is different. We have a grade 1 who has been stuck on it for 12 years! Our grade 2 is "qualified" status (each LEAs is different), but it's a joke as there are many "qualified" TAs (including me) still on grade 1, but the schools turn a blind eye.

2. Yes they can! They can also set the job spec. There are LEA guidelines, but the heads can do pretty much as they want (scary).

3. If the TA meets a higher job spec criteria, then move her up, but bear in mind if there's one TA on a lower scale than they should be, others will be too!
    Time to re-evaluate all the TAs job specs maybe?

4. A school can do all of this. In my school (VA) it's the governrs who have to agree to any major staff scale/job specn changes, but the school (or rather the head) has the power to do pretty much as it wants including any minor staff pay adjustments.

4. What do you class as qualified? I am at a loss to understand some of Shorty's arguments about pay. What constitutes a qualified TA and an unqualified one?

5. Generally speaking you are paid for the job you are doing, whether 'qualified' or not. If the post you took is a L1 post and you have not taken on any additional duties then you will remain on the L1 payscale... however long you do the job. Very few TA's remain just doing the L1 job but lots of schools keep them paid as such.

Your TA should get a copy of the job descriptions for each level (from county) and check to see if she is in fact doing the work of the next level, I bet she is. She can then put forward a case for getting paid at the next level.

6. You could ask your head teacher if they are willing to train your TA to be an HLTA however many heads do this but then do not give TAs the pay and conditions to match

7. Qualified in our LA means a level 3 TA qualification. (it is stated in our job specs and there is a list of acceptable qualifications for acceptance).
    Mine was a CLANSA level 3 course.

The only difference (in Worcs) between a grade 1 and 2 TA job specn, is grade 1 (payscale)= unqualified, grade 2 (payscale) = qualified.

8. Shorty, does that mean that two TAs doing the same job are paid differently if one has a qualification and the other does not?

In our region (Hants) it (should) depends on the role undertaken not the qualification held

9. Yes. There are 4 levels.

1 Unqualified (no matter how much experience you've got, or what they get you to do). The job spec is so vague they could ask you to do ANYTHING and get away with it, which is why there are very few level 2 TAs in our LA - level 3 and 4 are unheard of!).

2 Qualified
    3 Qualified with more senior duties / responsibilities (ha ha!)
    4. HLTA

I DO have a qual, but am STILL on grade 1!! Watch this space - have asked acting head to review my job, and am in contact with GMB.

10. MEAnt to add that some authorities don't have a grade/level 1. All TAs go straight onto level 2, and the grades 1,2,3 and 4 are all different moneywise across LEAs too, so there's no correlation.

11. shorty - where can I see a list of acceptable qualifications? I too have Clansa and think it was one of the most useful courses I've undertaken.

12. Lots of schools down here take you on at L1 but if you can prove that you are doing the work at the next level they should (!) increase your grade accordingly. More adverts are asking for qualified staff but by no means all.

I really sympathise with you Shorty, I have no formal qualifications but went onto L2 after several years (before the job descriptions changed) as experience used to count! Then, when I changed school I was put on the L3 payscale, again for experience.

I wish you luck with your appeal

Sorry to hi-jack the thread

13. Hi Jacspeedy - You should have a list of quals that count as qualified in your contract. Are you in Worcs? If you are I will dig out mine and email you / scan a copy. If not, it will be pointless as every LEA is different.
    Some LEAs don't differentiate between grades with unqualified/qualified so it depends on which LEA you work for.

And wait for it.......in Worcs, the Clansa course was going to be the be all and end all in TA qualifications, but then they changed their minds and made it level 3 in another course the following year after I'd completed it! AGGGGHHHHHH!!
    Clansa WAS a good course - I'm glad I did it before working as a paid TA (appreciated by school or not!).

Thanks Trueblue, good to hear from you.

14. Shorty you talk as though your county council is the expert in all things to do with TAing. SOME LEAs do not take any interest in TA qualifications, which are many and varied (in usefulness) My LEA looks at the needs of the child and the qualities of the TA, and then matches them. People with previous experience are always chosen over people without unless we have a temporary contract and a student wishing to work before going on to a pgce.

Experience and courses undertaken in different special needs counts for more than some paper qualifications. I don't know the Clansa one, so can't comment, but the NVQ levels 1,2 and 3 are a joke. Do you really class a TA as qualified as someone who has a certificate saying she knows where the policy on such a such is and she knows who is in charge of child protection. This is the level of NVQs. Sorry, but to me that is just common sense, and you don't need to spend hundreds of pounds to prove it.

Also, do you get paid the same as a level 1 TA who has just begun in your school? You don't seem to appreciate that actually working in a school, rather than being fresh from college and theoretical learning can mean you do the job in a more informed and experienced way.

15. Whoooaaaa! Brown Eyes hang on a minute!!

My LEA is most certainly NOT the expert in TAing. We have one of the worst deals in the whole country and there is so much variance across TA roles and within pay it is a joke. Read my previous posts on other threads and you will see that.

I have worked as a paid TA for 5 years (before that I did 2 years voluntary in school, at the end of which I did a TA qual - mainly so that I could actually go into the job and feel I was giving the children I work with the best I can).

Saying that, I do personally have an issue with someone walking in off the street, with no experience, no quals, straight into a grade 2 job (as my sister in law did in Bham, whereas I had 5 years experience and a qual, yet get more than £2 an hour less than she does now!).

A piece of paper is not the be all and end all, you are right, but it does show that someone is capable of learning up to a certain standard, and also especially the Clansa course, as it was mainly EXPERIENCED based, in that you had to have a placement for at least 2 days a week in a school, before you could even register on the course. On top of that, assessors came out and assessed us in the job. So I would argue it isn't "just a piece of paper".
    If its just a piece of paper, why don't you go out and get it? Every other job on the planet asks for quals, why should TAdom be any different?
    Perhaps if they made it the case, we wouldn't be getting such low pay!

I am not fresh from college, I am an ex automotive engineer (16 years) who retrained.
    And as for your question do I get the same as a new grade 1. No, I get 74p an hour more(4 boxes higher - spinal point 10 as opposed to the lowest spinal point 6), yet I have a level 3 qual (fees paid for by me), 5 years experience and plan and deliver work for 3 children (one statemented, 2 being statemented). Gosh, all that recognition for my hard work!
    Happy?

16. I walked in off the playground. I was asked to apply for a job after helping in class 2 days a week for 2 years. I had a good set of O levels and A levels so certainly wasn't going to study for something of a lower academic status. Also being the parent of a child with SEN gave me some credence.

I was in the first cohort in the country to study and gain the foundation degree in learning support for secondary school TAs, so I think I am more than qualified thanks. Now I have a full honours degree and am going on to teach.

I have read your copous postings about your pay. I agree you are badly paid, but according to your own argument you shouldn't get a penny more than a newbie because they are doing the same job as you.

If you can't get regraded then don't do the job, yes, you can say no. It is the job that is graded and not the level of qualification you hold. You have been told that so many times but you still roll out the same old statement.

We know you don't like your pay, please stop hijacking every thread to put your personal opinion on pay and conditions. Just query it with the governors and head teacher and let us know what they say.

17. "It is the job that is graded and not the level of qualification you hold. You have been told that so many times but you still roll out the same old statement".

My job is that of my LEAs specn grade 2/3, which I can prove. My pay is that of grade 1. I am doing something about it - GMB are involved.

I don't know what I have done to upset you so much, but you obviously have got a problem with me. I can't ever remember attacking you in the past.

Don't tell me what I can or can't post either. If someone asks a question, what right have you to tell me not to give my opinion?
    If anyone else has a problem with me please let me know. I thought that is what these boards are for!

18. And for what it's worth, you sound totally up yourself!

19. Hi,
    I was first engaged as level one TA for 5 hours, putting up displays and labelling books,
    and as a level 2 TA, taking whole classes to cover PPA time.
    Then I was offered an extra 10 hours level 3, giving one to one support.

Now I have a 26 hrs level 3 contract doing PPA cover and working in the nursery.
    The so called 'pay scales' are all over the place!

I have been offered the opportunity to achieve an NVQ3 and might as well do this.
    Although I already have a degree. I have no TA practical experience related qualifications.

So I think this may be useful if I change schools or take a career break in the future.

regards,
    hunnie

20. in Notts, its lev 1 qualified o unqualified, level 2 unqualified or qualified and level?grade 3 qualified. Grade 3 is senior TA usually. we don't move automatically,you have to wait for an opportunity to apply for promotion to the next level, often moving schools to do so. every area is different though which makes it difficult to find out.