1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant notice period

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by zirafa, May 5, 2016.

1. zirafa

zirafa New commenter

Hi
    Hoping someone can help me. I currently work in a school in London and am looking to move to another area of the UK over the Summer Holidays. However, this can't happen if I don't have another job to go to. I've been and explained all of this to the Head Teacher, but I'm now being told I have to hand in my notice by 22nd June.

My contract states that I have to give 4 weeks notice. That's it. Nothing about notice including the holidays or not, nothing about term time only issues. "You may terminate your contract with the Council by giving one month's written notice."

If I get a job after 22nd June, I'm being told I'd have to come back in September. Which seems totally ridiculous, especially given I didn't get offered this job until mid-July and was expected to start in September o_O

I understand that it wouldn't be ideal if I got a job any later, so I wouldn't be deliberately setting out to make things awkward but sometimes it just can't be helped!

Hope all of that makes sense.

Thanks!

2. Saland45

Saland45 New commenter

Hi

Check your contract, ring your HR department to check....I handed in my notice last yr and stated that my last date of employment would be 31st August which I then got paid for that holiday period but I told the school after May half term out of courtesy and left the written notice till June before I handed it in....just double check first...

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

In my LA it is a month but I believe this does not include holidays as technically you only work for 38 weeks when school is open and don't get paid for the holidays, unless you have been with the LA for some time and have "earned" holiday pay. So if I wanted to leave I'd have to give my 1 months notice by the 22nd June.
    Check your contract it usually says something about term time only so they could ask you to work September as notice.
    Last time I changed jobs the new school asked the old school if they would release me from my contract which they did. It does happen sometimes.
    What do you plan to do if you don't get a job in another area, stay where you are?