1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistant Job Interviews...5 Job Rejections :-(

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by JaideP89, Jan 18, 2020.

1. JaideP89

JaideP89 New commenter

Hi all, I was hoping some of you could help shine some light on my situation. I have been a teaching assistant since 2014 but took on a self employed role working with young people with mental health issues in Sept 2019 so I could concentrate on my level 3 supporting teaching and learning in schools course. I have recently applied for 5 teaching assistant jobs been for the interviews but each one I have been rejected for. It has really knocked my confidence so much. I have a lot of experience and a lot of qualifications but it seems when they have called me to tell me I have been unsuccessful it's either been other people's observations have been better or somebody was more experienced. I just wondered if there were any teachers/teaching assistants that could give some advice? Any specific things that are mainly looked at in interviews etc?

2. frances_earnshaw1

frances_earnshaw1 New commenter

There do seem to be times when competition is high. I have always been aware that in my area, there will be others who will be going for the local jobs, too. There are only five Primary schools I can get to on public transport, and I don't drive. Maybe you have some restrictions, too. Be patient, each interview builds our experience and gives us more information about what is wanted. Hope things are going better.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Sorry you are feeling down - I can understand why. Competition is so fierce for TA jobs, especially now that, with ever-tightening school budgets, adverts are getting less frequent. Please don't give up hope; you have a level 3 qualification and lots of experience. Your experience with mental health issues should be a real bonus. I can only suggest that you ask for specific feedback about your interview and observation, which would hopefully give you a better picture than having the interviewer say 'others were more experienced or delivered better observations.' That's not really very helpful to you. Personalised feedback should given you more to work on.
    Keep applying - there will be a job out there with your name on it. Good luck.