1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant Issues

Discussion in 'Primary' started by benwhite106, May 4, 2011.

1. I am currently a year 6 teacher, within my class I have two stantmented teachers with two very low ability children - (just off of P scales). They both have Teaching assistants (TA). One TA is very good, working with her child and supporting across the curriculum.
    The other is a very negative person who appears not to enjoy working with her child at all. Her body language is always negative, she offers no engouragement or support to the child, except when they do something wrong where the TA is very quick to correct her in a very negative way.
    Issues have a risen recently with planning - I am able to plan relevant KS1 work to inculde the statemented children within lessons, however when it comes to the collection of resources, creation for activities for the SEN children I do not recieve the support required from the TA. Often the TA will come in after her lunch break unprepared for the follwing lesson. I provide appropriate planning weeks in advanced, and regularly discuss the topics we are teaching (mainly for foundtaion subjects) on regular occasions. I don't feel I can do much more other than actually teach the children on a individual basis myself.
    I did try speaking to the TA in question, explaining how i feel about her role and my expectations, this led to her being fairly aggressive and explaining that it was not in her job and everything for ther statemented child should be provided by the teacher.
    Our head teacher has spoken to us both and suggested that we have regular morning discussion each day. Although this is does seem a suitable solution it is something that does happen regluary and I don't feel it will make one bit of difference in the future.
    Is this enough support? Or should I be doing even more?
    Should TAs be collecting/preparing their own resources?
    What should be done about her negative attitude? I have a raised concerns throughout the year - nothing has improved. What now?

Any support would be much appriciated

2. I am currently a year 6 teacher, within my class I have two stantmented teachers with two very low ability children - (just off of P scales). They both have Teaching assistants (TA). One TA is very good, working with her child and supporting across the curriculum.
    The other is a very negative person who appears not to enjoy working with her child at all. Her body language is always negative, she offers no engouragement or support to the child, except when they do something wrong where the TA is very quick to correct her in a very negative way.
    Issues have a risen recently with planning - I am able to plan relevant KS1 work to inculde the statemented children within lessons, however when it comes to the collection of resources, creation for activities for the SEN children I do not recieve the support required from the TA. Often the TA will come in after her lunch break unprepared for the follwing lesson. I provide appropriate planning weeks in advanced, and regularly discuss the topics we are teaching (mainly for foundtaion subjects) on regular occasions. I don't feel I can do much more other than actually teach the children on a individual basis myself.
    I did try speaking to the TA in question, explaining how i feel about her role and my expectations, this led to her being fairly aggressive and explaining that it was not in her job and everything for ther statemented child should be provided by the teacher.
    Our head teacher has spoken to us both and suggested that we have regular morning discussion each day. Although this is does seem a suitable solution it is something that does happen regluary and I don't feel it will make one bit of difference in the future.
    Is this enough support? Or should I be doing even more?
    Should TAs be collecting/preparing their own resources?
    What should be done about her negative attitude? I have a raised concerns throughout the year - nothing has improved. What now?

Any support would be much appriciated

3. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

What sort of resources do you mean; can you give some examples?

If I've planned an activity for my LSA that requires more unusual items, eg playdo/photos of London buildings, books about rocks, coloured paper cut into circles etc, I would prepare the resources for her. If it was playing a game (which I would get out) needing eg dice and counters, then I wouldn't get those out as they are easily found in the classroom.
    It's difficult to comment really, without more details. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll change her negative attitude-is she due to retire soon or anything!?

4. I provide all the plans which offer ideas of resources, some are basic resources around the classroom, other are more unusual, but I willl provide them if needed, I am willing to help as much as possible and I do to the best of my ability, but when it comes to the lesson the activities are not carried out how I asked.
    Its so frustrating, But due to her attitude, she physically turns her nose up at me when im explaing or supportting her with any practical/play activities. So even if I provide the resouces she refuses to take part and the other TA in class has to step in work for both.

5. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Unless she is employed for a period of non-teaching time e.g. before or after school, specifically so she can make/provide resources, Ithink it is down to you to make the resources, and your responsibility to check that they are ready. Her attitude may reflect that she thinks that too.

6. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Sorry Ben, my post crossed with yours. If your TA is being provided with resources, but is not carrying out the activities you want her to, I suggest that you take it higher and request that she is observed by SMT.

7. She is provided time....she has up to 2 and half hours throughout the week away from the child to plan...
    I check regulary that they are ready for lessons, ie. they day before, the morning before. I am continuously asking if there is any other support she needs and yet still she is not prepared for the lesson.
    She has worked in school for many years, and this attitude is not a new thing, its certainly something other teachers have found difficult in the past, i seem to be the only one as yet to challenge this, but i really feel its the little statemented girl thats losing out. I dont think Im being unfair.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

It is getting late in the year now for you to make a difference for this little girl. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things, but the TA knows she has got away for years at this school doing nothing so unless you send up a rocket she's not going to change.
    You need to find out from the school what their procedures are in this case for a TA who is not doing their job properly, and if you think it is worth going through them. If no--one backs you up properly you will just end up with an even more uppity TA by the sounds of it. Or the fact that you are ready to go through with it might make her get her act together.
    Have you noted what you have done in your regular morning discussion and gone back to the head with clear notes showing what you have tried and that it has failed despite your best efforts. There will be a long process to go through to show that this TA is inadequate and I guess you will have to go through these first reasonable steps.
    The parents could complain too ....... to the head, then to the govs etc etc.
    Do you think you will have to work with this TA again or will you see the back of her at the end of this year? It's such a shame as there must be so many people out there needing and wanting a job who would be enthusiastic and co-operative.
    You have my support. I'd love to tell her what I think!! School budgets are short and they can do without pouring money down the drain on people like that. Keep the other one happy. She sounds great as she hasn't gone down the same path knowing that she can get away with it too.