1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant Interview Task

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by schandler5, Jan 16, 2017.

1. schandler5

schandler5 New commenter

Hi
    I've been offered an interview for a ta/smsa role tomorrow and I've been asked to plan & prepare a writing activity to deliver to a mixed group of KS2 children based on a stimulus of my choice which should last for 20 minutes and I'm really struggling with a topic. I was going to use a Roald Dahl book (re-create Georges Marvellous Medicine) but I can't find my childrens copy so I can't use that anymore.
    I would be grateful for any ideas.

Also any help with nerves? I've worked with children as a childminder but not in an education setting, I've just helped at my childrens primary school so I'm very nervous.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Twenty minutes is not a long time; you would barely get started using a book! How about using a picture of a character, or an animal. Have a quick chat about what they can see then collect a list of nouns (with the children) you would use to describe the character. For example, if you used a witch - hat, hair, nose, eyes, skin. Work with the children to create a sentence about one noun; ask them for adjectives and come up with something like: dull, greyish skin, crinkled like old paper. Then get the children to come up with their own description for the other features.
    If you chose an image of a lion, you would be using nouns like fur, mane, tail, paws, eyes.
    Hope this helps - best of luck tomorrow.

pickles124 likes this.
  3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Hope it went well - sorry I didn't see this in time to offer advice