1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant Interview. Is this more LSA/Intervention post?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by AJ1510, Jul 8, 2015.

1. AJ1510

AJ1510 New commenter

Hi all!

I have an interview on Monday for Teaching Assistant at a really nice school.

I'm currently a TA and LOVE my job. I actually found it quite difficult to apply to another school as I can't bear to part with my workplace or wonderful children, but I want to do teacher training next September (2016) so a new school will help on my application.

Saying that, the new post has hinted of a more one to one role. The full job description mentioned working in the autistic department and an email today said my task for the interview will be working with a child of additional needs. I'm assuming additional needs is lower ability rather than special needs. I have nothing against this as I enjoy working with all children but I would prefer to be a class TA rather than one to one.

So, I was wondering if anyone had ever had a similar interview, similar task or what your opinions were on this for someone looking to become a teacher in the future.

Thanks very much for any information!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think you need to read as much as you can about children with ASD. The terms Additional Needs and Special Needs are often open to interpretation by the setting. Do not assume that additional in this instance equates with lower attaining. You may prefer to be attached to a class rather than support 1 :1 but if you are serious about pursuing a career in teaching then I think you need to show that you can embrace challenge, be adaptable and flexible and look for opportunities to develop.