1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistant interview help

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by charlieljmiller, Oct 16, 2018.

1. charlieljmiller

charlieljmiller New commenter

Hi guys, I am hoping some of you could help me! I need advice on what to expect at my interview this week, I have been told the interview will consist of a formal interview presentation, work based task and literacy test. This is my first teaching assistant interview so im quite nervous as a lot of my experience is from my degree as a sports development student which mainly involved coaching!
    Thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Sounds like it will be quite an interview! Do you mean you have been asked to prepare a presentation? If not, they will certainly ask you about safeguarding and probably give you one or two behaviour scenarios. With safeguarding, you need to say you will make sure you are familiar with the school policy and follow it to the letter. Your coaching experience should have given you some ideas about behaviour management. They may also ask you about your knowledge of the primary curriculum. The work-based task I think will involve working with a small group of children in a classroom. If you haven't been asked to prepare anything, then they will be doing a task set by the teacher. Whoever is observing you will be mainly looking to see how you interact with the children - again, your coaching experience should help you there. As for the literacy test - it could be a KS2 SATS grammar test (assuming this is a primary school), or marking a child's work.
    Have a look at the school website - it's always good to know as much as possible about the school before you go. If you know which year group(s) the post if for, check out any particular information about them - there may be info about their study topics for the term.
    Good luck at the interview and let us know how you get on.