1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistant interview - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by squiresag, Nov 13, 2008.

1. I have got an interview next week at a local primary as a full time TA and I have two concerns-

1) what types of questions will they ask - this is my first support interview!

2) I trained 10 years ago as a teacher and was wondering if this would help or hinder. I don't want to come across like I want to take over or be 'the teacher'

I wrote a lot about my previous teaching in my application and want to know how I can tactfully show off my teaching experience in a way that won't be too overbearing.

2. I have got an interview next week at a local primary as a full time TA and I have two concerns-

1) what types of questions will they ask - this is my first support interview!

2) I trained 10 years ago as a teacher and was wondering if this would help or hinder. I don't want to come across like I want to take over or be 'the teacher'

I wrote a lot about my previous teaching in my application and want to know how I can tactfully show off my teaching experience in a way that won't be too overbearing.

3. I think there are alot of threads that give possible questions but here are some i got asked a couple of weeks ago, it was my first interview also.

What skills and qualities make you a good candidate for this post?

How you would engage a disinterested child?

Have you had any child protection training?

I haven't but i said that I had read up on it giving them some details and said if i were successful i would make myself aware of the schools policy.

What action would you take if a parent said another child had been picking on their child?

There was also a question about children having different needs and how would I deal with this.

Hope that helps in some shape or form!

4. Oh yes and why do you want to work with children?

So obvious yet so hard!

And how would you make an environment safe for children?

5. How weird. I have an interview for an Early Years Teaching assistant post in a local primary. I am a teacher too. x

6. I'm a TA i a primary school so I'll try to help! They will most definitely ask a question about child protection. They asked me what I would do if a child gave me some sensitive information. I said listen carefully to the child and not ask any leading questions. I'd then pass the information straight to the class teacher. They seemed really happy with this answer! They basically want to know that you'd never keep this sort of thing to yourself.

I was asked why I wanted to work for this particular school. This totally stumped me and I mumbled something about the school's values (which I didn't know!). Shows how you can still get a job with a silly answer! Anyway I realised afterwards that I should have said something about the fact it is a faith school and that by nature it's ethos was very similar to the school I had volunteered at. So research the school and tried to get hold of a copy of their 'mission statement' beforehand.

I was asked which qualities I would bring to the role too.

Also your teaching experience shows that you have leadership skills and you shouldn't be too shy of it!

Good luck :)