1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant Interview during PGCE suspension

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by theluckycat, Jun 24, 2015.

1. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Over the last year I have been on a Primary PGCE course, however had to finish early due to my little boy not coping very well when he started school, and subsequently going through a diagnosis for likely autism. Since I only had 6 weeks left on placement, the University have offered me a suspension, allowing me to continue the course after a year out. I have been applying for TA jobs and have an interview tomorrow. The plan is to be a TA for a year, allowing me to better support my son, and after this complete my final 6 week placement. As it's a bit of an unorthodox situation I'm not sure how to talk about it in interview. I'm of course going to make a a bit thing about how much training I've had, and how much I can offer the school having just done teacher training. My worry though is that I would like to tell them that I want to finish my final placement in order to gain QTS, and they might prefer someone else who hasn't got this to do, and may be a more straightforward candidate. The school seems lovely and I would like to return to them as a TA after I've finished the placement, and was going to sell myself as then being able to do useful PPA and cover work as a qualified teacher when I return.

How do people think I should approach it?

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Will you be working for a whole year before carrying on with your PGCE? As i dont know about your area but in ours we are only on one year contracts anyway, so it could be that you dont have a job anyway come next July! So really the school cant turn you away because of that.

You dont need to explain about your little boy, say there were some family issues that you needed to deal with. I hope you get the answer for your boy too :) good luck in your interviews x

3. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

I am sorry to hear about your little boy. It is a pity that you haven't been able to finish your placement. I agree with stargirl81, don't mention about your little boy. A warning though, (about hoping to cover PPA time as a teacher once qualified), many schools use HLTA's to cover this and when teachers go on courses or are off sick for one day. Even if once qualified as a teacher, if you are working as a TA and covering classes you may only get paid as a HLTA unqualified.