1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant interview advice!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by student2009, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Hi
    just like you i applied for several jobs, never thought i'd get an interview, so just posted the completed application forms and with my CV and additional information typed up. I received an interview letter and was happy and terrified at the same time!!
    So...I seeked help from this website. My interview questions were:
    Can you talk of a positive experience you have had in school and what you learnt from this
    Can you talk of a negative experience you have had in school and what you learnt from this
    Can you explain what the term inclusive education means to you?
    Can you explain what high expectations means?
    If a child told you a secret about someone who was harming them, what would you do in that situation?
    If two children were involved in an incident in school what you witnessed and a parent of one of the children met you outside school during the weekend and asked about the other child, what would you say?
    If a member of staff was unhappy about a situation in school between another member of staff and came to you complaining, what would you do?
    These were the main ones, but just remember to stay calm and confident in your answers. If you have a copy of Louise Burnham's Teaching Assistant's handbook Level 2 that is very helpful and relevant! Good luck, i'm sure you'll do well. By the way i got the job!!!

2. Hi,

Ive got 2 interviews this week for ta positions, but in a secondary, so was just wondering if these questions were specific to a primary school, or could they be interchangable do you think?

Cheers

3. hi there not sure if this is to late for your interviews I am an HLTA in secondary but started out as teaching assistant. The Questions at interview are very similar to primary. I would say that they will ask you a few scenario questions about what would you do if... one question that i was asked is what would you do if two pupils were fighting? Another was, What would i do if a pupil made inappropriate advances towards me?
    Other than that they asked about my education, why I want the job and general iunfo about my life. Hope this helps you out. Let us know how you get on.
    M