1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant in the UK

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by crissy_0512, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to ask your valuable opinion and advise.
    My sister-in-law is a Filipino Teacher who is presently working as a Primary English Teacher in Thailand. I know that she needs to go through all the process to acquire QTS to become a teacher here in England. Is there any chance that she could work as a teaching assistant first while working towards her QTS?
    Please help and advise.
    Thank you! [​IMG]
    crissy_0512

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I assume the first part of that would depend on her having the status of a resident citizen. My wife is Indonesian but is presently with me in the UK and cannot work due to the temporary stauts of her visa. A settlement visa is required I think, which requires the passing of a language test by the way and is bloody difficult to obtain as UK Border Agency are at present seeking to reject as many applicants as possible (word of mouth from an Immigration Lawyer).
    Assuming that barrier is overcome and, guessing her English skills are well advanced given her present work status, I'd suggest she would simply be competing with other teaching assistants for available work, some of whom would have been to college and obtained appropriate qualifications for the role.
    In my home city, applicants for teaching posts are ridiculously oversubscribed and have been for many years. Similarly for TA's, one would assume some areas are harder to find work in than others but having a teaching experience abroad would surely work in her favour.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Working as a TA will not count towards QTS. She would have to get a job as a teacher in a school that is willing to support her through QTS, or try for a GTP place or do PGCE. At the moment there are many UK trained teachers looking for jobs who have QTS so it may be difficult for her to get one.