1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching assistant in class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by getrichquick, Jan 22, 2012.

1. I am really offended by some of these comments on hear I am in no way like you say we are. I think I am talking for so many TLA's out there my title is Senior Teaching AND learning Assistant and I do just that support the teacher and the children's learning. I do all the things stated in your status and I WASH PAINT POTS.

2. Absolutely!!

3. Hear hear SimplePimples.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

For somebody that is clearly very qualified, could you work out how to quote the person you are responding to.

Cheers.

5. I totally agree with you, you make excellent points indeed.

6. Well said sue51.

7. nqt1986
    With respect, Im a Hlta, I do photocopying/painting/sen/hear reading etc.Yes, I have done courses and get more money.GUESS WHAT? I am more than happy to wash up paint pots and any other job. I am just truly grateful I don't work with you!

8. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Completely agree with you Morgan0907 - I am also offended by a lot of the comments. Why can't people accept that there are some rubbish TAs - and some rubbish teachers too -but luckily most of us enjoy our jobs and work together to do the best for the children. I am responsible for the progress of the children I work with - and my evidence shows that those children progress more than the class average - so noone is going to tell me that I don't make a difference. The teacher and I get the admin done between us as a team effort. She knows I am not very artistic and therefore don't enjoy displays - but she knows that I will happily fetch resources / do photocopying / mark test papers etc.

9. Couldn't have said it better myself york2003.

10. Milgod

Still can't manage it?

I'll help you out. When you press reply to a message just look above where you are going to type. Press on the word 'Quote'. Bob's your uncle. The post you are replying to will appear in the box you are typing in.

11. Here, here!! Some posts here put me in mind of a 'them' and 'us' workforce. Surely all staff need to feel appreciated and valued? What about the 'everyone a leader' workforce??
    I too work across KS2, with a jam-packed timetable, not attached to any one teacher. I regularly work an additional 8 hours per week, unpaid, getting in to work early and leaving late - which I do for one reason only.... to benefit the children in our school! It is time that some of these 'main teachers' realise the knowledge and experience that some of their (TA) colleagues bring to the workplace!!

12. I work as a TA and I am given lesson plans at the beginning of every week. I assist in class during the morning sessions and have intervention groups during the afternoon sessions. I also cover yard duty at lunchtimes.

13. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Or even, hear hear...

14. I find you whoever you are quite rude. I am new to this site and don't know how to join in with the chat on here, but thank you for clearing that up.

Yes I am quite clearly qualified or whatever you said and I am quite offended at how you phrased your reply.

I don't know what your problem is or how I have offended you but I was sticking up for may TA's that teachers take for granted.

15. You most certainly did!!

16. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Hmmmm, teachers are claiming that they are overworked, and yet they have time to come on this forum and correct people's spellings. Makes you wonder ....

17. well spotted!! :)

18. I agree with you HSW10 it is so frustrating I can't stand not knowing what I am doing from one day to the next. I much prefer knowing what I am doing in advance.

19. Milgod

Well done for following instructions. It can be fairly annoying trying to work out what post you are talking about without you including it.

Do you also feel that there are plenty of TAs that think they are as qualified as a teacher? Shouldn't have to do the admin jobs which they are meant to? Do you feel that for all the good TAs around there are just as many fairly rubbish ones?

20. Milgod

Ah yes, the old 'you can't possibly be overworked because you are also able to have personal time' line. The best teachers don't stop working until 1:00am and start again at 5:00am. They also have dreams about what work they will do when they get up.