1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant Considering Career Options

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mauricemicklewhite, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hi everyone -
    I've been a teaching assistant for the last year. I applied for the job to see what working in a primary school would be like, and to find out whether a career as a teacher would appeal to me. After a year of being a teaching assistant, I've found it rewarding, but I don't think being a teacher is right for me.

As a TA, I worked one-to-one with challenging pupils with learning difficulties and behavioural problems. I found this very rewarding: working on an individual level, the pupils and I were able to form an effective working relationship. As teacher in charge of a large class, there isn't the same opportunity to have that kind of relationship with the pupils.

I'm in need of some guidance. Is there a job/career path that anyone could recommend, using similar skills to a teaching assistant? Not necessarily in the educational field - I'm looking into social work too.

Thanks very much

2. You've posted on Cookery. Have a look down the left and you'll find the Careers section.
    Good luck!