1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Assistant Advice

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by rascal7, May 12, 2011.

1. Have you tried local supply agencies they not only supply teachers but also TA's as well.

2. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi. All I can advise is just keep at it, as the other post has said supply is an option to think about. How long have you been doing voluntary work for? Could you get a Ta or perhaps a teacher to look through your application, you never know you might have missed something that needs tweeking a little, the application form as with the interview is all about selling yourself. Voluntary work is the way to go, it shows commitment for the role and schools like that, sometimes it's a case of being in the right place at the right time, you never know a vacancy might arise at the school you are at at the moment things can sometimes change from one day to the other. I don't mean to sound negative but it's a tough call on getting jobs at the moment for all concerned teachers and ta's, so keep plugging away and fingers crossed all your hard work and commitment could pay off. Good luck.

3. Many Thanks for your advice. I have been doing voluntary work since the beginning of March and passed my course in April, so it is very much early days. I have contacted some agencies but they won't entertain me as I lack experience. They did mention trying to volunteer at as many schools as possible. I am happy at the school I am with and currently doing 3 mornings a week and this could increase depending if they need me. This is a Primary School so gives me an idea of the different age groups i could work with. Would you advise maybe going to another school or do you think doing what I am doing will be enough.

4. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Going to another school is a very good idea it will give you more chance off being in the right place at the right time, however try to make sure you are not taken advantage of as some schools will take the mick and bleed you dry so to speak. If you are not doing this already try and help out in as many year classes as possible not just one particular year group as this will also add to your experience.

5. Yes the school I am at is very good at making sure I go into different classes and do different things.
    Many Thanks again for your advice.