1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching AS La Moda at an all boys school

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by whitewindows, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Has anyone got any ideas or links to previous posts they have made on how I can making the topic of fashion appeal to my 6th form boys (they are definately real "lads lads")

2. Has anyone got any ideas or links to previous posts they have made on how I can making the topic of fashion appeal to my 6th form boys (they are definately real "lads lads")

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How about focussing on sport clothing and then on famous sportsmen and women, such as David Beckham and his sartorial choices (including the famous sarong and a liking for Posh's underwear!)

4. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

You could talk about stereotyping based on appearance, and the importance of presenting oneself for certain situations e.g. looking professional for a job interview, uniform at school, etc.
    I also did body image and the media and eating disorders with my AS group, but there was only one boy in the class and he just had to put up with it! It might interest your class, though - worth a try?
    Try asking Jose Picardo / asisehace, as he teaches Spanish to all-boys as well, I think.

5. Thanks for the ideas - like the Beckham in a sarong one!

6. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

I work in one too and we merely discuss the feminisation of the curriculum.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It saddens me that pupils are so reluctant to engage with what they regard as gender inappropriate topics.
    Surely studying a language is all about becoming as fluent as possible and that means learning as much vocabulary as possible.
    When I did O and A levels, we did not study according to topics. We acquired vocabulary and grammatical constructions and applied them to (mainly) translation, reading comprehension and dictation work.

8. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I start off the unit by getting them to rank a series of behaviour from "it disturbs me a lot" to "it doesn't disturb me at all" - things like "people who spend 800 pounds on a handbag", "people who wear fur", "people who have tatoos", "people with piercings", "boys with long hair" etc. Body image is quite a good one, as is stereotypes attached to certain clothing styles, eg emo, chav, etc. I usually tell the boys in my group that despite the title "fashion" the unit has nothing to do with fashion or designers, which is true. So far it's always been the topic they've engaged with the best.

9. After the Beckham sarong and what your clothes say about you, you could relate it to job interviews, getting ready to go out, whatever context where you have to think about your image that you think will involve your students.
    Recently I saw Graham Norton play a game in his show that he called "Gay or European?". Several volunteers stood up and the public have to guess; you could do something similar. Can you find "looks" from clothes websites? You could them ask them if they would wear that and why. (For example, my husband, who is English, will not buy in Zara because he says it is too "euro" and he would look like a "plonker".)
    Are you familiar with a BBC show call marry, snog or avoid? They do make-overs so that people (girls usually) look more marriageble / attractive / presentable (depending on your view). Do a quick google image search and you could do something similar. They could even discuss individuality and expectations from their peers... You could show them pictures of goths, crusties, sloanes and ask them to guess what they are like...