1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching as an NQT in NZ

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Miffy2010, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I wonder if anyone can help. I am an nqt, gained my PGCE and QTS in July 09. MFL 7-14
    I will soon be moving to NZ with my fiance. I got a full year of supply teaching in from Sept 2009-Dec 2010. I then left teaching, was becoming very difficult to secure an nqt post, esp in primary and the ridiculous 16 month supply rule was nearly up.
    Anyone know if I can get my induction year there in NZ?
    I know that if I was to return to UK, I'd need to do induction year again but if I didnt move back I wonder if I can still get a first teacher job in NZ..
    I also have the 7-14 PGCE. Has anybody had experience of teaching in NZ as a new teacher?
    Thank you!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I though most post abroad wanted 2 years experience. Be nice to know if it otherwise though. X

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction can only be served in UK maintained schools . You need to contact the teachNZ authorities for advice on the recognition of your qualifications there. Under current regulations there is no date limit to having to serve induction in the UK so it would still be waiting for you on return! One more reason to stay there!!

4. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I may be wrong, I don't think New Zealand as a induction system, I believe that the induction policy is only restricted to the UK. But good luck, I am also tempted to apply for NZ due to the dire job shortages in England and the way the UK is being badly run by all politicians.

5. You would need to establish if New Zealand recognises your QTS without induction. Some countries do and some do not. It is not always the case that if the country in question does not have induction that they would stiull recognise an NQT who has not passed induction as fully qualified.
    As things stand, you would have to complete an induction year if you return to the UK and wish to teach in a state maintained school.
    James