1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Art Remotely or without shared materials! #Corona

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by sge289, Mar 13, 2020.

1. sge289

sge289 New commenter

Hello

Have any of you any tips/ activities or good websites to help with remote Art teaching or lessons that won't involve sharing materials?

In the event our school closes because of Corona virus or large staff absence, we need to set work remotely. Only problem is my subject is Art and students might not even have paper, let alone colouring materials!

The head teacher has also advised against sharing equipment in lessons, which puts the kibosh on pretty much every lesson I teach!

I have lots of critical/ analysis/ evaluation type work, but I want something more exciting, engaging and useful.

Help!

With thanks.

2. noofruit

noofruit New commenter

Hello!
    I hope it is all going OK for you. It is very stressful at the moment and I don't really know what I am going to end up doing. I am mostly worrying about what will happen to the A Level kids who can't/wont' work at home!

Some ideas with minimal resources (but admittedly assuming they all have a phone and things around the house):
    - Surrealist photos using their phones - there are a lot of free apps you can get that splice/merge images. It could be part of the research to find one and work out how to use it, research Surrealism and contemporary Surrealism and then make their own image using photos they have taken themselves at home.
    - Collage (if they have any newspapers or magazines). Even if they don't have glue they could take a picture and upload it to your remote teaching platform.
    - Still Life compositional studies - they could use items from around the house and create triangular compositions of increasing complexity - you could get them to do 3, 5, and 7 objects for example. They could do research of traditional still life first and then look at Cezanne or someone for more complex compositions.
    - What about a Joseph Cornell style box - they could collect items that have meanings to them, or along a theme from around the house and compose them and write about what they mean, or construct a story around them.
    - Could you do something where they have to create art on a found piece of paper - so a leaflet or an envelope or a newspaper and edit it using whatever they have got like a page in Tom Phillips' Humument (would involve drawing materials).

I will add more if I come up with any!