1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching art in the great outdoors

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by kkitchentablefilms, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I'm lucky enough to be doing my NQT induction year at school that runs a project that takes students out of school for short courses in the surrounding woodlands. I have the opportunity to run a Art related one day workshop in the woods with yr 7, which I'll design and lead. I'm keen to move away from drawing outside, and give the students a new experience. Has anyone done anything like this before, and what shape did it take ?

2. Lucieb40

Lucieb40 New commenter

What a wonderful opportunity!
    Have a look at Andy Goldsworthy...he has some really interesting art work inspired by natural forms which you may find interesting.
    We did some sculpture work using twine in the style of Goldsworthy which were very successful and encourages youngsters to work in teams?
    Also encourage them to take photographs (if they can) of what they see in different areas. Get them looking in detail at small areas using viewfinders as yr7's could find alot of things fairly interesting. Looking at textures - tree/leaf rubbing and pressing?
    Alternatively pin hole cameras are a great exploration if you have the means?
    Hope this is of some help!?!

3. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

What a great opportunity .......................
    What about making reality or fantasy nests and then hiding them in the trees, bushes and undergrowth. Can be made from anything natural found in the environment just like the birds do.... line with shredded copper pipe lagging which is natural felt fibres ...something hard to find quickly. This is great fun and
    Tree dressing..........
    Andy Goldworthy influence for HOLES, CIRCLES.... just use leaves or cut grass and create them. Gravel is great also.
    Tree Hangings.................