1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching art in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Chellebob, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I have moved from y1 to receotion. In KS1 art was taught as a separate lesson with a unit of work built up ove the half term. How is it organised in receotion. Currently the activities are very prescriptive - Eg. all making the same frog with movable joints. I don't think this encourages creativity at all and doesn't teach specific skills. I would provide the materials and allow the children to use their imagination to make their own frog. Would these activities always be free access, so only those choosing to partake would complete it or would I bring the class over in groups? Is the same activity set out for more than one day? One week? One term? How do you organise art activities in your class?

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We start the year teaching skills so that the children can become self sufficient. In 3d this includes how to use all the fastening and joining tools and materials. We include extra work on scissor control for children who need it. Also colour mixing, using different paints like powder paint and watercolour blocks, how to clean up, how to look after brushes etc. After a short time, all of this equipment is in the CP. We introduce different media throughout the year (eg collage or printing) and have an adult model how to get a good result and then the materials are added to CP. In terms of teaching skills, we would make sure all the children are included. As some children are reluctant to get messy we do keep a watch over who is using the creative workshops and an adult will call children into the care during a freeflow session.

3. Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.