1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching area for year 6?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hana54, Feb 19, 2012.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, I've been searching all over but I can't seem to find it! I'm teaching area to my year 6 class in a couple of days, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any online games that a group of children could play that involve finding the area of simple and compound shapes? I'm trying really hard to think of fun activities for them, but I'm finding it difficult for this topic :/ Any ideas would be much appreciated! :)

2. Why does it have to be fun? Why do you need games?
    Just move the kids on. Its not about the medium you pick to deliver a lesson but the skills as a teacher you show to help them progress.
    Mymaths has some examples if you subscribe.
    CIMT has a range of pdfs you can use.
    I can only imagine you are being observed as trying to make every lesson into a game is neither (i) sustainable (ii) always the way to move kids on and (iii) not remotely close to what they will be expected to do come next year.
    Thinking about it, Abacus have a great powerpoint you could use if you can manage to find a copy.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Take a rectangle of cm squared paper. Stick to a piece of card (maybe with a picture on the other side). Cut up into a "jigsaw", remove squared paper (except for any who are going to need to count squares). Give to a group of children, who need to find the area of each piece (and then check that the total is correct). Differentiation by how complicated you make the shapes.

4. Hi, There are also problem-based activities on nrich http://nrich.maths.org/public/ - just search for area, then stage 2 activities, or try using geoboards like a colleague of mine did with his Y5 class. (Y6 would get lots out of this too). http://pinkmathematics.blogspot.com/2012/02/geoboards.html