1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching AQA AS Chemistry

Discussion in 'Science' started by Ssn77, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

Use the official textbook, AQA Chemistry AS: Student's Book (Lister and Renshaw, Nelson Thornes, 2008). The examiners clearly use this book. You shouldn't really need a revision guide as well, this does what is required for AQA and no more. It has basic summary questions in each chapter (useful as mid-lesson plenaries) and exam-type question at the end (message me if you would like the answers).

Knockhardy powerpoints are amazing and aimed at AQA chemistry. They sometimes go a little beyond what is required these days, which is good as stretch and challenge. http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/sci.htm

2. I disagree with the previous poster, do not use the course specific textbook as it is too narrow to properly develop your subject knowledge. Similarly step away from revision guides as they are even worse. I recommend a general advanced chemistry textbook like A-level chemistry by E.N. Ramsden
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Level-Chemistry-Core-Fourth-Edition/dp/0748752994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339065723&sr=8-1
    Also Calculations for A-level chemistry by the same author.
    The Knock-Hardy notes are actually tailored towards the OCR syllabus but are a good starting point.
    The best strategy is to do some AS papers (and ideally the A2) and honestly mark them in order to assess your weak areas. I have given this advice to many trainees over the years but they never seem to be able to find the time to do it.......

3. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

Yes, Kritur is correct about the subject knowledge, I got sidetracked mid-thought and switched over to what you should be teaching to pass the AQA exam.

I would still recommend the above textbook so you know what you should be teaching for the course, the specification is not detailed enough for that. AQA are very fussy about terminology and how you answer questions, often you need to have a good idea of what is in the examiner's head to get the marks. So, use the textbook to determine what you should be teaching, along with the past papers.

I have 'Advanced Chemistry' by Clugston and Flemming as my 'proper' A level text book.

4. mm38

mm38 New commenter

I'd also thoroughly recommend Chemguide on the web. I find it very useful to dip in and out of when required.

5. Chemguide is a must - when I started out on A level Chem it saved my bacon many times..

I prefer the OUP texts to the NT ones - but thats personal opinion.

6. jereni

jereni New commenter

Eileen Ramsden's A level Chemistry is my favourite reference book but not the stuff of bed-time reading - you should also be aware that the most recent edition was issued around 2000, so some of the newish AS content will not feature in this book. Before you buy a copy from Amazon have a look through your school's book cupboard, there may be a few old copies lurking under the cobwebs.

I would recommend you download the AQA AS specification and use this as your starting point.

7. Thanks for your help guys! :) J