1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching application and experience

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Tonid2710, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Tonid2710

Tonid2710 New commenter

Hi all,

New here and hoping you can offer me some advice. I'm hoping to start primary initial teacher training in September. I have secured in school experience in two schools but that isn't due to take place until next month and December. I'm also writing to my sons school to see if I can help out twice a week in the morning while he's there and I'm off work. My question is to do with the UCAS application. I note that apply 1 opens 27th Oct. I'm sure I've read that spaces are filled on a first come first served basis (subject to decent applications, so in wondering whether I should apply when it opens but don't yet have my experience, or wait until I have at least a week under my belt and apply at the end of November. Ideally I would like to do schools direct or a scitt course and know these are popular. I don't want to miss out but at the same time ding want to submit an application where I can't link what I've seen in schools. I currently work in law so am a career changer and would struggle to link the two fields in an application.

Thanks so much

2. craigstevens44

craigstevens44 New commenter

Hi
    I started my Primary Schools Direct training this year and at the time of Apply 1 I had volunteered for 2 days per week for about 6 weeks before applying. In my opinion I think you should apply this month (apply 1) and make specific reference to the experience you have secured and really harp on about all your transferable skills. If you could get a few days in school between now and when you apply I think it would really help but if you cant I would still apply.
    I had heard horror stories of al SD places going to current LSA's and that there were very few available for career changers, thankfully this wasn't the case with my placement school, they have taken 3 SD students on this year (all of us with limited experience) as the head felt we were right for the role.
    I also think you can change your personal statement at a later date so if (worst case) it didn't happen for you at apply 1 then you can add the gained experience before apply 2.
    Hope this helps
    Like I said it is only my opinion!

3. Tonid2710

Tonid2710 New commenter

Thank you so much for your response. I will have to apply and hope for the best. Can't get experience beforehand as half term is next week. I had the opening date completely wrong in my head so hoping I haven't ruined my chances.

4. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Apply now. As you said it's first come first serve. Just make sure to mention that you have a placement secured. By the time the interview comes you'll have experienced it.

Remember the same personal statement is sent to each course you apply for.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, we simply make it a condition of the offer. If you have all the credentials and attributes to complete the PGCE Primary then we offer a place subject to obtaining a certain amount of days experience.
    However, all primary courses will close very quickly this year. After a short while, only school direct places will be left. Get your application in asap. Biggest hold up will be the references. These have to be completed before the institution can see the application.

6. eoinmccormick

eoinmccormick New commenter

Be very careful when applying for a course. I have discovered that my university really struggles to find placements. This is quite common but ask at interview about this. Otherwise you may find yourself with a long commute every day.

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I just wonder on what basis you know you want to be a teacher before completing the work experience....