1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching angles

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by powerpuff83, Oct 6, 2015.

1. powerpuff83

powerpuff83 New commenter

please can someone tell me if angles (e.g. Right, acute, obtuse etc) are covered in year 2 at all?
    Im teaching angles to year 3, but not sure what theyve covered so far the previous year.
    The new curriculum says angles are ks2, but then some resources websites have year 2 angles worksheets, so am confused. Dont want to reteach what they already know.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Even if they have covered them at all, and each school /teacher may interpret the (very vague) expectations in different ways, I doubt if they remember them. So start with a 10 min revision to assess and then plan A, B or C depending on what happens in that session.
    Generally it's been my experience that sometimes right angles have been encountered before year 3. So I'd make sure they understand what a right angle is and how to recognise them. Then important that they realise an angle is a turn' and the degrees measures the amount of turn.
    Even in Year 5 they only tend to be secure on right angles and acute angles, with some having an understanding of obtuse.