1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching and Speech & Language

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Mark_Ager, Feb 23, 2018.

  1. Mark_Ager

    Mark_Ager New commenter

    Hi all,

    I've been a TA now for some time, and (for the second time around) I'm now looking into going into Teaching. Now, this is where I feel I'm in a slight muddle..
    I have a degree from University in Design, and was initially able to secure a TA role in a Secondary School in the Art & Design Department. I initially tried going into teaching via University during this time, and although securing my place with the University, it was my failing of the Skills Tests with halted this. So, I took a new branch of TA work by working in the Primary School setting, to which I've been in now for a couple years. During this time, I've undertaken a series of roles, such as a more 'standard' classroom TA, to being a TA working with SEN children, to more recently a more Learning Support Assistant working IEP's set by Speech and Language Therapists. Gaining an interest in this area, I studied on a Speech Therapy course, and I am currently undertaking another which focuses on a more school-based setting.
    I've looked into Speech and Language therapy in the overall general sense, and have realised that many practitioners have had University-based degrees, and due to having a degree already and a student loan to already continue paying off, I cannot afford to undertake such time in study again. On the HPCP website there is a list of University and College courses which are recognised officially, which, upon completion, one can then be registered with the HPCP as a professional therapist.

    Now.. this is where I'm currently sat.. I'm looking to register onto one of the Colleges recognised by the HPCP to have the qualification necessary to be registered professionally by the HPCP, however, I'm still interested in having a Teaching qualification behind me as well (because it cannot hurt, right?) so, my question is, what would be the best thing to do here? I've had a brief look for Universities that do Speech and Language as a Initial Teacher Training Role, but it doesn't seem there are any? So, do I go for Primary Teacher Training, as S&L work more closely in that age range? I understand that by becoming registered with the HCPC allows me (potential) roles in the NHS/ Medical fields which can then work with schools, but.. the question arises, what to do with a Teaching degree alongside this?

    Thank you to all who have read through this! Slightly longer in length than I was imagining! But, I fear I wouldn't have been able to explain my situation properly if I hadn't.

  2. Stiltskin

    Stiltskin Star commenter

    I think the question here is, do you want to be a SAL therapist or a teacher? I can't answer that for you, but you probably have a gut feeling for which you would prefer to do.

    They are different roles and require different training, and you are not going to be able to do both at the same time as I think you have discovered. There is little to differentiate either route in time/cost.

    Looking at the HPCP website, you're option seems to be to do a Masters course? Which like teacher training (assuming you go for the university route) is a year's study full time and £9250 tuition fees. I don't think there are any bursaries now for primary teaching except for maths specialisms. You'll find it hard to work at the same time as either of the courses, so need to factor that in.

    Remember though there is nothing to stop you at a later date going back and retraining if the route you take stops working for you.
  3. Mark_Ager

    Mark_Ager New commenter

    Hello, Stiltskin, and thank you for your reply!

    There are University-based courses that the HCPC recognise, as well as courses established in Further Education Colleges, which is probably more along my lines at current due to considerations in repaying student loan, then to have to reapply to University and go through the whole process.

    I think my question was.. if I went down the route of becoming registered with the HPCP first of all, allowing me a branch of options in terms of wider-roles, then went into Teacher Training, is there a related pgce course to undertaken and with whom etc.? Or whether the Teach Training simply be in Primary Education...
  4. Stiltskin

    Stiltskin Star commenter

    Well that's good, when I looked under SALT I could only see undergraduate and postgraduate university courses.

    There is nothing to stop you going into teacher training after. There isn't anything specific for SAL but you could do a Primary PGCE with a SEN specialism. A number of providers offer this, check on the UCAS site for details.

Share This Page