1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and Pay in Kenya?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Betty the penguin, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Hi,

I'm really interested in working overseas and it's a decission between Kenya nad Dubai at the moment. I knoew the pay can be pretty good in Dubai, but i can't find any information about Kenya and what it is like to work over there.

Any information would be great. Thanks

2. Hi,

I'm really interested in working overseas and it's a decission between Kenya nad Dubai at the moment. I knoew the pay can be pretty good in Dubai, but i can't find any information about Kenya and what it is like to work over there.

Any information would be great. Thanks

3. HI Ms Penguin!

I taught in Kenya for a year and enjoyed the experience of living in Kenya, though I didn't have a very good experience at the school I worked for. The kids were great, but I felt I was mislead at the interview - don't be baffled by the bull! As for life in Kenya - well, it depends on what you like, If you like the outdoors, the chance to see wonderful wildlife (if you have a work permit in Kenya, you pay far less to enter game parks and for hotels than if you are a tourist), if you enjoy camping, then you are in for a treat. If you prefer highrises and shopping, choose Dubai! Good luck!

4. Another question or two. What is the climate like in Turi? How much is an average flight to the UK? Thanks.

5. Was at a school that is part of a very large religious organisation with an educational wing. Cryptic!

6. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

If I have this correct, that sounds like the school I just applied for.... is there anything I shoud know about it ?
    Email me at stuartmus@yahoo.com

7. Hey,

You will almost certainly get paid more in Dubai but enjoy Kenya more! I agree with Singing Zebra that you have to be careful about the schools out here. There are a couple which have not been paying teachers recently particularly the academy, and the super religious one is... well super religious.

I teach at the school on the HIll and really enjoy it. The kids are great, the staff room is relaxed and friendly, we have previously had financial issues under the last owner but for the last 3 years been fully paid on time (some of the best salaries in Nairobi). In fact, when I compare the amount of sterling I save each month to my friends teaching in the UK I actually save at least twice as much and live a much more extravagant lifestyle!

Would totally recommend teaching here.

In terms of secruity, there are definately problems here, but if you are wise about where you live and where you drive you shoudl be fine. Had many more problems living in Harlesden in NOrth London!

8. I agree with DPsych - you have to be careful wherever you go. I would say you need to worry more about the state of the school!

DP - How weird - I used to live in Harlesden as well, right on the 18 bus route!

9. DP is it actually called the school on the Hill? I have read about that school before and it was referred to in the same way. I am seriously considering Kenya. It ticks all my boxes so far. Good climate, great diving and OK money.

10. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter

Mrs Hippopotamus and I had two terrific years in Kenya. I would echo many of the comments that have been made so far on this thread. As well as some prep school heads in Nairobi, you also need to watch out for bilharzia and malaria. I very much enjoyed teaching at the school near the game park. Dicko was deputy when I was there and then became head. He is now leaving and will be a hard act to follow.
    A year or two ago the TES asked me to write an article about teaching in Kenya and a heavily edited version of what I wrote was finally published. They left out the bit about some of my colleagues being held at gunpoint in a Chinese restaurant (crispy fried robbery, we joked at the time) and a colleague's car crash involving two matatus (one would have been bad enough!) Suffice it to say that Kenya is not the safest country on the planet and you probably won't be paid a lot either. But hey, our houseboy will clear up the mess, tomorrow we're on safari to Samburu and let's have another Tusker!

11. Sandman

Sandman New commenter

Did you ever have a night out at Florida or New Florida night club Mr Hippopotamus?

12. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter

Alas no. I am far too old and wrinkly.