1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and overanalysing

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by c616williams, Feb 23, 2018.

1. c616williams

c616williams New commenter

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves doing this. I am constantly overanalysing what happens throughout the day/week, so much so that I hate Friday evenings as that's where I really find myself dwelling on anything and everything that I'm not happy with about the week. Sometimes these things are minor as well, i.e not liking the way in which I have been spoken to by a student and questioning the way in which I dealt with it. It worrying that an sixth former was not satisfied with a lesson/assessment feedback. This is my 3rd year teaching (including pgce) and each week I keep finding myself being so over analytical, even if actually things are going well! Just wondering if anyone else has had this, and if so, how they dealt with it? I want my Friday evenings to be nice!!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Forget about it, this is your time. Go for a run.

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and needabreak like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Better than my solution which is binge-drinking, strangely enough I can manage to stay dry before a working day but it's nearly impossible when that isn't the case. And I'm pretty good at tuning out work-related hassle as well.

Absolutely agree that you need to reclaim Friday and there are other distractions apart from alcohol and running. Sex and drugs and rock-n-roll could also do it (I guess, I'm too old for two of them:(). Of course you need to switch back on but that can be Sunday night.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

It's so easy to give headspace to things that happen during the day, and sometimes it's useful to reflect. But if, as you say, these things are minor and it's unhelpful, it's a waste of a weekend! Make plans for Friday nights, do nice things over the weekend that keep you focusing on life outside of school, and hopefully you'll get out of the habit.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. greetje_w

greetje_w New commenter

Have you tried reflecting? As in, at the end of each day, open up a word document (or just hand write it) and write your thoughts down. And after all your worries are written down, also write down one thing per lesson which went well. The "what went well" does not have to be something big, but just something nice. A "be kind to yourself" thing.
    Then when it is that Friday evening and your head is going over everything again, just check your reflections and see if you can discover any patterns. And instead of dwelling on what didn't make you happy, change it into a "what can I do better?" and make a plan of action for the week after. Ask the student if your reply impacted them, see if your 6th former desires more feedback from you, and so on.

Getting stuck in a negative spiral is hard, finding a way out is also hard, but by starting to write the thoughts down instead of just letting the roam inside your head, you'll see they will become less powerful.

And once you start finding something that works for you, those Friday evenings will be yours again as you will deal with everything "as it happens, when/on the day it happens"