1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and Living in Kenya with my son

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nicole01, Jan 17, 2016.

1. nicole01

nicole01 New commenter

Hi,

I'd love to get some info on cost of living, experience of living and working in Nairobi please.

I have literally just had the news that I was successful at interview, so I'm both terrified and excited atm.

Looking forward to reading the replies. No horror stories please :)

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It was some years ago that a smelly pachyderm was teaching at a school in Nairobi. I have sent you one of those "conversation" things, nicole01.

3. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I lived and worked in Kenya up until a year ago - more than happy to chat, will send you a conversation too. I was also with my child (had her in Kenya!), and can imagine you're having a roller coaster of emotions right now! Please feel free to ask away (P.S. to reach the "conversations", click on the green circle next to your name at the top of the page, took me ages to find it!).

nicole01 likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, nicole01, do not be put off by the horror stories. Mrs Hippo and I still talk about our days in Kenya as the happiest and the most exciting period of our expat adventures. If you dig around in the TES archives, then you may well be able to find an article that was written by some old duffer (and not by the TES reporter who got paid for it). This piece is all about the joys of teaching in Kenya. You lucky thing!

nicole01 likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It's only a green circle if you haven't given yourself an avatar, but kept the Little Green Martian.

;)

Best wishes

6. 576

576 Established commenter

Cost of living info http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Kenya

As with everywhere a lot depends on your lifestyle, if you're happy with matatus, ugali, sukuma wiki and chapattis you can live very cheaply.

The exchange rate isn't great at the moment which will affect you sending money home but as you'll almost certainly be paid in shillings it shouldn't be a big deal.

Karibu Kenya.

nicole01 likes this.
  7. nicole01

nicole01 New commenter

Thanks,

I have just messaged you. Much appreciated. Managed to find the conversation, pretty well hidden!

N

8. Tiger__Lily

Tiger__Lily New commenter

Hi

I too have just been offered a job in Nairobi and will be going out with my 6 year old daughter. We should swap details!!