1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and living in Germany

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by BrittlebankH, Jun 25, 2019.

1. BrittlebankH

BrittlebankH New commenter

Hi there,

After four years of secondary teaching in the UK I am looking into the possibility of seeking a post in an international school (within Europe) and am in the initial stages of doing some research.

I would be really grateful to hear about anyone's experiences working and living in Germany, particularly regarding support/type of package offered for relocation (which I know will obviously vary between schools) and how the experience of teaching in an international school compares to UK state schools in general, along with any further advice for a potential application and/or living in Germany.

Thanks!

2. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

A good friend of mine worked in Cologne but left after 1 year - she really did not rate it as a city or as a school so decided to move on. Paid a lot of tax if I recall, so the salary seems a lot more than the actual take home is. We visited her in Cologne and must admit that it wasn't the best city for us. I imagine Berlin and Munich would be much busier and have more going on.

3. sjk17

sjk17 New commenter

I teach in Berlin. You can earn well as life is generally cheaper than other capital cities however prices are rising fast. Finding an apartment is Berlin is really difficult. Competition is fierce and 60 people can show up to an apartment viewing. The problem isn't getting any better. You do pay a lot of tax in Germany but my standard if living is much higher than in the UK. It's rare to be offered a relocation package outside of the elite schools such as the BBS, BBIS usw. There's a teacher shortage in the whole of Germany so finding a position shouldn't be a problem. Private schools are all regulated by the state but there is a lot less admin and pointless tasks that need to be done.

4. agakc

agakc New commenter

Good afternoon,
    Could you please share a bit more about teaching in Germany? I have returned from Hong Kong and after having spent almost 1.5 year I am determined to move yet again as teaching in a secondary school in the UK is a pure nightmare. How much would a teacher with 20 year experience earn in an international school (on average)? Thank you in a advance.

5. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

I think it is so much how much do you earn in Germany (which wouldn't be all that I wouldn't think), but how much tax and deductions are they going to take. They will take an enormous amount off your gross salary for pension, tax, church tax, health insurance, social taxes etc as far as I know but I have never worked there. Also, you are going to have to pay your own rent as they won't give you a free apartment.

A lot of schools in Europe tend to be British international schools, so need I say any more?