1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and living in Dubai?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by familyman, Jan 10, 2016.

1. familyman

familyman New commenter

Hello, I'm considering applying for a post in Dubai. There's a post at Dubai British School. We are looking for a change having been in the UK for the last 12 years. We've four children and are also concerned about their schooling and all the other stuff that goes with having a family such as medical care. We've taught in Doha previously and really would love for the children to experience living overseas. However one of our children completed treatment for leukaemia 12 months ago and we would need to know that there would be strong follow up care in this area. We really appreciate you taking the time to respond, it's a really big decision for us as a family. Thanks

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Not that I want to be negative straight away, but if you have four children, and I presume a partner (non teaching, as you didn't state), you will be massively expensive for a school to hire, especially if one of those children has a serious pre existing medical condition. The medical insurance alone would be huge. Unless you are a Physics teacher then I would be casting your net wider. Its not impossible, but you have a lot of factors going against you, so apply for everything that comes up anywhere, but be honest about your dependents.

familyman likes this.
  3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Most schools limit free child places to 2 or sometimes 3 free child places. This will mean you will have to fork out for the additional 1 or 2 places not provided by your employer.

DBS is in the Taleem group, which is a 'for profit' organisation which might affect how the school operates financially meaning salary and benefits might not be too good compared with other non-profit schools.

familyman likes this.
  4. familyman

familyman New commenter

Thanks for taking the time to reply

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Familyman, i hope your little one is well on the way to recovery. Its a big upheaval to have children uproot and go abroad but id be so concerned about the medical requirements. I would not be alive were it not for the dear old NHS and even though I'm fully recovered, follow up appointments are still precious to me. Anyway, i'd like to say that there is a school in Dubai looking for 12 teachers. A friend of my brother asked him to get me to send off my C.V. I did so not bothering about the results but received a response and have a Skype interview next monday. Im not sure whether to accept this interview or not as I'm concerned that being remotely sick on my own far from this country will be a favourable option. Does Private healthcare being offered count for anything with pre existing conditions?