1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and learning.

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TheoGriff, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually, I was hoping that he wasn't :
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

2. The very essence of what we do in teaching and learning is at least instilling in our young people the sense that they can achieve at anything they put their minds too.At the very best one would assume we teach to inspire our young adults to pursue a career in your own subject area.
    I hope colleagues can remember a time(not too far back)when you were in a classroom and how you were in a lesson and you had that 'awe and wonder lesson' that essential spark moment or light bulb situation that moved you to think about a specific idea.
    One would not ask teachers to teach flash bang lessons on a daily basis but to enthuse about their subject area yes absolutely.That's how we motivate our young people.
    Let me make myself clear satisfactory teaching is simply not good enough and if that is your contribution on a daily basis then that confirms my orignal post!
    If you were to analyse the Ofsted criteria you can clearly see that not all students are engaged.I hope after you have completed your analysis you will agree.
    Best wishes

3. Inspirational,motivational and risk taking should be part of what we should be doing on a daily basis.I am not advocating Flash bang lessons as the norm by to enlight our students and enthuse yes. Is that not what we came in the profession to do ?
    My orignal was not designed to attack but get all of us thinking about what we do on a daily basis.Not getting bog down in a 'wave apathy and a culture of mistrust' but to think what is really important the 'youngsters in front of us.I repeat satisfactory teaching is simply not good enough!!
    So what can we do to ensure all youngsters are engaged and clearly learning from your experience ?
    Is about the facilitator model(copoerative learning -pupils learning from other pupils or the 'Sage on the stage ?
    best wishes

4. Thankyou for your suggestions. Now here is my advice for you.
    Please consider the issues and worry less on my etiquette i am pretty sure your time is precious.
    How i rate my treads is purely a matter for me!!
    Best wishes

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I don't know about yours but <u> I</u> don't rate my treads at the moment. They're pretty grubby trainers with a broken lace.
    Best wishes to you too!!

6. Great stuff!!
    You have just lightened my mood!!
    Thanks for that.
    Best Wishes

7. wayne - are you a serving HT and if so, how long have you a) been teaching and b) been a HT? Be interesting to know on both counts.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

He calls himself an AST in his personal details. From the thread he's started about getting promotion, I believe not getting it is a bit of sore point with our Wayne.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am wondering if we have a Troll in our midst. Or even somebody who has taken over another's identity to post.
    In an idle moment (surely this low level of literacy cannot be someone hoping for promotion to SLT?), I googled Wayne Jones AST. Found this on the The National College for Leadership of Schools and Children's Services:
    Wayne Jones
    Current role: Director of High Quality Teaching and Learning
    School: The South Wolverhampton and Bilston Academy, West Midlands
    School phase/type: Academy
    Wayne Jones took part in the National College's EAP programme in 2008. He is now director of high quality teaching and learning at The South Wolverhampton and Bilston Academy in the West Midlands, having been recently promoted from Advanced Skills Teacher (AST) to the leadership team.
    "I hadn't been on a leadership course since 2003 when I was head of science and I was looking for something that would help me progress into leadership," he says. "Other courses I viewed I didn't think were as good. In particular, as a black person I wanted to see another perspective on leadership from people who had an ethnic minority background and we heard from black leaders about some of the challenges they had faced in order to get where they are right now. But I also wanted to share my ideas and experiences with colleagues too."
    As part of the leadership team, he now has a bigger platform on which to share and debate ideas and across the school. He is seizing the opportunity to promote his own way of teaching as a model across the school and local authority, something else he would have been less inclined to pursue before doing the programme.
    "My way of teaching is facilitation rather than didactic and that's something I am encouraging others to do," he says. "Now I do have the self-belief to put myself out there and be the person who is enabling others to move forward."
    His greater confidence is something others have also noted.
    "During the interview for my new post, the principal remarked on how much other people had said there was a different element to me now in that when I speak other people listen and that's definitely something that has come about since EAP."
    Wayne is now on the National College's Leadership Pathways programme and plans to apply for a deputy headship in a couple of years' time, followed by NPQH.
    "Before, I didn't think I was capable, it was something I didn't think was within my reach," he says. "Now I definitely believe I could go for headship."
    Now call me paranoid, but this profile above doesn't fit with the posts that we have seen here on this forum . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com