1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and Exercise - How do you fit it in?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Ive just been looking at gym memberships but am reluctant to sign up as I know once half term is over and i'm back at work I will find myself not having the time/energy to go!
    I just wondered how others juggle teaching and exercise? I quite enjoy the gym when Im there because the gadgety nature of the machines and the fact that you can watch TV at the same time appeals to me! Im not a fan of jogging and have no room in my house to do exercise DVDs. I do occasionally go to Zumba but have the same problem with timings/work. When I get in at 6.30 and have to cook dinner and plan for the next day I just never have the energy for exercise.
    I just wondered how others manage it? Do you force yourself back out of the house in the evenings? Do you make yourself leave work earlier and go straight there?

2. Ive just been looking at gym memberships but am reluctant to sign up as I know once half term is over and i'm back at work I will find myself not having the time/energy to go!
    I just wondered how others juggle teaching and exercise? I quite enjoy the gym when Im there because the gadgety nature of the machines and the fact that you can watch TV at the same time appeals to me! Im not a fan of jogging and have no room in my house to do exercise DVDs. I do occasionally go to Zumba but have the same problem with timings/work. When I get in at 6.30 and have to cook dinner and plan for the next day I just never have the energy for exercise.
    I just wondered how others manage it? Do you force yourself back out of the house in the evenings? Do you make yourself leave work earlier and go straight there?

3. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I'm pretty useless at doing it if I'm honest. Plus I'm usually ill during school holidays so am hopeless at going even then. I am a member of a gym, but I haven't been for around a month. I find I am better if I go straight from work. Once I'm home I struggle to go back out.

4. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

We have a fitness room on site, and I still struggle. My new plan is to use it 4 times a week during term time, and do nothing at the weekend and less in the hols.
    I do intervals and dual muscle exercises though to save time, tend to be done within an hour! I think it is doable, just have to stick at it and make it routine.
    I used to swim 3 times a week, twice at 9pm in the week, no idea where I got the motivation from to leave the house and walk to the baths but I did it!

5. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

I joined a Ladies' Gym with a 30-minute circuit principle - that way I can pop in on my way home from work a couple of times a week, and also at the weekend. I used to time it to fit in with daughters' dance / pilates lessons, and would drop them off, go to the gym and then pick them up on the way back. I had previously tried a conventional gym but found there were times when workload meant I couldn't find the hour or so needed and I would go for weeks without a visit.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I used to go home, planning etc, gym class (awful at motivating myself in a gym 'gym') tea, continue planning...
    There was a Sat am class too which was good to get up for.
    Slow cooker is great for some gym days x

7. I go running as it's quick and easy. Just put on your i pod and exercise gear and go. Also a group of us asked a Zumba instructor to come to school every Thursday from half 4 to half 5 to do a class. The headteacher said she wouldn't charge the instructor for the hall and she charges us £3 a session. There are about 15 of us on a good week and never less than 8 so the instructor is guaranteed £24, not a bad earner for her for an hour's work and good fun for us. It's also meant I got to know colleagues I wouldn't really see much of normally as they don't teach in the same key stage as me.

8. Lagerlover that sounds great! We're quite a small school though so I dont think we'd get enough for it to be worth an instructors time.
    As for running, I live in a very hilly and busy area and its just not a pleasant place to run. I also get bored when out alone, and hate running at the best of times :p
    I might try and do gym once a week at the weekend, zumba once a week and swimming once a week.

9. Hate swimming! That sounds good though. 3 things a week is plenty I reckon and you could probably get reduced rates at the gym for weekend membership

10. Have you tried yoga? Really good for exercise and posture - very inexpensive to start with!

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I found the ONLY way to do this was to go, no matter how tired I was or how many bad excuses I had [​IMG]
    One thing to keep in mind - pushing yourself very hard for say, 20-30 minutes, is arguably much more effective than a little, easy 60 minute jog.
    Point being you don't need to spend ages at the gym.

12. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

I've never attended a gym, having an habitual dislike of 'organised' exercise!
    How do you travel to and from school? Walking to a bus or a train is an ideal way of incorporating exercise into your day-a good brisk walk is great! Additionally always taking the stairs as opposed to the lift provides another opportunity for exercise. Little things like this can and do make a difference.

13. Goldopals

Goldopals New commenter

I ride my bike to school and back every day. It is only a 3 kilometre round trip and does not take long, but it is worth it. I also play netballn which has one game and training every week.

14. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I've been quite good with going during the week recently, I've sort of got into a pattern of going Tuesdays and Thursday nights, and then usually both Saturday and Sunday as well. Occasionally, I go later on in the evening on a Friday if I've not doing anything and my husband is away with work/out for the night.
    What got me into the pattern best was that a friend joined the gym I already attended and she was very nervous so needed me to go with her. Once we'd made a plan to go, I had to go.
    Also, I started using the Couch to 5k programme, an app which coaches you through learning to run over 9 weeks untill you're running for 30 minutes. You do 3 runs per week and I found myself going to the gym more often in order to stick to that (I did it on the treadmill because the weather was too grotty outside for running).
    Now that the lighter nights have come, I'm hoping to leave work 'early' (i.e. ASAP after the bell) and coming straight home, getting changed and going out for a walk to clear the cobwebs away and get fresh air after a day at work. This really appeals to me after being at work all day cooped up.
    But as someone said, the most important thing is to commit yourself to going no matter what. Put your gym kit in the car so you don't have any excuse and then go on the way home - never go ome first until you're absolutely in a routine of going. I sometimes go home and rest for a bit, especially on Thursday when I'm most tired, then go back out to the gym late on at 7.30/8pm but I a) don't have kids and b) have been in the habit of going so I don't mind going back out at that time occasionally.
    Lastly, hop on over to H+W and join in with the 'beginners exercise' thread. It's great to hear from people who are joining new things and it's good to share experiences. I like hearing from people who are joining the gym because I like to pinch their workout ideas.
    Eva xx

15. Thanks Eva. I could probably go Tuesday and Friday after school if I leave fairly early - mondays I tutor, wednesdays are staff meeting days and thursdays are LOOONGGG SLT meeting days. Then if I went at the weekend too that would be 3 or 4 times a week.
    I drive to work and it takes about 35 minutes, if I were to walk for the bus it would involve two buses and a significant amount of time added to both ends of my journey, plus I carry books and laptop etc home...it is an excuse, but a good one! I think im better trying to force myself to go straight to the gym after work, even if not for a huge amount of time.

16. I used to find it really difficult (especially in the winter months) to go home, cool tea, plan, settle down etc and then DRAG myself out into the cold and to the gym- my energy was zero!
    However as others have suggested, going straight from work helps (get it done and dusted) or book onto gym classes at a set time- once booked on you HAVE to go right?! Ha!
    Now I regularly go 3 evenings a week I do have way more energy on a night once I'm home and showered- I generally get more done than if I'd have come home and slouched through the evening!

17. Could you afford a WIi fit? I love mine. I go to the gym at the weekends, I jsut can't manage it after school but I make a point of doing a Wii fit routine every day when I am on track.

18. I have just joined a hotel gym as it opens and is empty at 6.30 am. I can be in at 7ish out for 8 and their quiet swim time is about 6pm - perfect!
    So now my morning routine will be chickens at 6 am, gym then work!

Hopefully!

19. I genuinly do believe that working with children is much more tiring than many other jobs though. When we have INSET days, or courses, or when I have done work that did not involve dealing with 30 children before, I come home with energy still left to burn. A day teaching and I am drained.
    Anyway I was just interested in how others fit it into their day - teachers or otherwise. I know people do it on the way or on the way back, that much is obvious, but I was interested in individuals and their habits, and how they motivate themselves.

20. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Not Curves, but similar - Gymophobics (although I'm not!)