1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and Development: Third Year Research Project Help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Laurenl11, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Laurenl11

Laurenl11 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently completing my Third year Dissertation on Educational Leadership Development.
    It would be much appreciated if you're not a member of SLT if you could complete my survey for me, it will only take five minutes and it's all anonymous and will not be published.
    Thank you for your time!
    Please also share it around any fellow teachers!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JN9QQ5N

Any questions pop it in this thread and I shall be sure to answer any queries.

Lauren
    University of Manchester

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

"You are being invited to take part in a research study. Before you decide, it is important for you to understand why the research is being done and what it will involve." - It would be nice if this then told us why and what it would involve!

"have you took part in any of these"
    ouch!

nomad, Laurenl11, suem75 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Time was when it was considered most important to learn how to be an effective teacher first, now it's learning about leadership before you've even become a foot soldier.

I wonder how long it will before courses just skip the pesky teaching part altogether.

nomad and Laurenl11 like this.
  4. Laurenl11

Laurenl11 New commenter

I have now added a small briefing which summarizes the questions used; I merely forgot to add this small brief as the email questionnaire has the briefing within that; it now states 'This research project aims to evaluate the current leadership development practices in place within educational settings available for teachers, most specifically within English Secondary Schools and explore whether the availability of Leadership Development is perceived to produce educational success for the Schools concerned.'
    Hope this is of more use, thank you for highlighting an issue which I wasn't aware of.

Also; I'm aware that literature in the functional field of leadership development argues that development programmes only favour some individuals (Frost, 2003); this is where this question has been drawn from, simply to prove or disprove this hypothesis in the literature.
    Thank you!
    Lauren

5. Laurenl11

Laurenl11 New commenter

Unfortunately as much as I would've liked to have focused on what makes an effective teacher, in fact it was one of my early ideas, there was simply too much literature and too much scope to fit into a dissertation, I agree that before any leadership development takes place, you must be an effective teacher, in fact that may form the basis of my conclusions.
    Thank you
    Lauren

Mangleworzle likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Then I'm afraid you're going to have to discard my response because I don't work in an English Secondary School.