1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching and a work life balance - there is a way..!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by acestrongbow, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hi folks,
    Over the last few years I have become increasingly fed up with the sacrifices and lack of thanks (Primary) teachers have to put up with. My own personal story involves horrific unsupportive heads and scapegoating after they managed to scew up their OFSTEDs. Amazing how many incompetent head teachers manage to keep their posts, but still thats another thread....
    Anyway, I decided to jump-ship when redundancy finally bit and took up a new career as a supply teacher. And no (as I find my self repeating) I am neither looking for a full time post, neither am I bonkers.
    The truth is, I have found it a really rewarding and exciting job. The revelation is that your focus is 100% on the children. No afterschool meetings, no subject leader tedium, no planning in triplicate and no levelling moderation designed to grind you and you efforts into the carpet.
    Seriously, it is a real alternative. I am home by 4.30 at the latest, dont spend the evenings marking, the weekends planning or my days battling with idiot management.
    Ive set up a site to provide inspiration and support for anyone who might be at the point of giving up in education. DONT DO IT! It still is the best job in the world. Bookmark the link below and bare in mind what I say.
    Ok, the pay isnt as good, and its not as secure, but boy - you get your life back. Whats that worth..!?
    www.beasupplyteacher.co.uk
    Let me know what you think.
    Enjoy xmas week all, Darren.

2. Hi folks,
    Over the last few years I have become increasingly fed up with the sacrifices and lack of thanks (Primary) teachers have to put up with. My own personal story involves horrific unsupportive heads and scapegoating after they managed to scew up their OFSTEDs. Amazing how many incompetent head teachers manage to keep their posts, but still thats another thread....
    Anyway, I decided to jump-ship when redundancy finally bit and took up a new career as a supply teacher. And no (as I find my self repeating) I am neither looking for a full time post, neither am I bonkers.
    The truth is, I have found it a really rewarding and exciting job. The revelation is that your focus is 100% on the children. No afterschool meetings, no subject leader tedium, no planning in triplicate and no levelling moderation designed to grind you and you efforts into the carpet.
    Seriously, it is a real alternative. I am home by 4.30 at the latest, dont spend the evenings marking, the weekends planning or my days battling with idiot management.
    Ive set up a site to provide inspiration and support for anyone who might be at the point of giving up in education. DONT DO IT! It still is the best job in the world. Bookmark the link below and bare in mind what I say.
    Ok, the pay isnt as good, and its not as secure, but boy - you get your life back. Whats that worth..!?
    www.beasupplyteacher.co.uk
    Let me know what you think.
    Enjoy xmas week all, Darren.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes an advantage of supply teaching is definitely a better work life balance. I loved that part of it when I was a supply teacher.

However before all the people with end of Christmas term blues think it is all rosy...

You take a huge cut in salary if you are an experienced teacher. I earned about 2/3 of what I would have in a contract post and worked most days. Many, many supply teacher cannot get anything remotely close to full time.

If you decide later supply isn't for you, then it is very hard to get back into full time contracted posts. Read on jobseekers about the number of people who have been doing supply for years and years while desperately not wanting to. They also started off doing supply by choice, but not have no choice.

If you gain satisfaction from getting to know your class and watching them grow and flourish under your care then you will miss that part massively. Yes there is long term supply, but then you effectively have all the hassle of a contracted post with none of the benefits.

Always being in someone else's room, doing someone else's job, in someone else's way can be a little demoralising after a while.

But yes the work life balance if fabulous. I'd often be home in time to watch countdown, and with nothing to do in the evening, weekend or holiday time.

4. Totally agree with all the above.
    But be careful. Some supply teachers, especially in secondary schools, are getting VERY little work.

5. That's really interesting to hear, thanks. Incidentally, is it uncommon for ks3/4 teachers to switch to supply at primary?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, not at all.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Interesting to see another view point. Personally I found supply teaching more stressful, never having relationships with the pupils so finding it harder to keep order / follow up on sanctions... the stress of an early morning phone call, rushing in to find no work & not knowing what you're going to be confronted with! Didn't suit me at all!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually I agree with lilipad that supply can be incredibly stressful. Never 'fitting in ' with staff colleagues because they don't know you, never being able to follow thro childrens' progress or even really getting to know them, having to become 'deaf and blind' whilst learning to 'ignore poor behaviour' that one knows will not be followed up, constantly changing one's teaching style to fit someone else's class/ teaching style/ classroom management strategies,never knowing if one will have work/income or what will be at the end of thejourney to school, even basic things like where to find the loos/ home-going strategies/ behaviour strategies et al.
    Personally I would prefer working in one school with my own class/classes but that's unlikely to happen now and supply is 'dead' in my LA!

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Even if I wanted to I couldn't do supply.

I need a guaranteed income. Plain and simple.

10. Yes, it's a compromise. I've a lot less money, but with tutoring and supply plus a few other things there is enough. Definitely need to work through the summer though. Put it this way, even with these stresses its still a better life than ft - for me anyway. If your happy doing ft, that's great. Just a happy message to people who feel as trapped and discontented as I did before.

I was concerned to hear how little work there is for secondary colleagues though.

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

BEAR in mind, not "bare" in mind. You won't be covering my class, matey.

12. Gosh LL what an interesting response to read a message, ignore its content and just pick up on the one typo. Presumably you never make any.

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not just for Sec.! In my area Primary is dead too, work being covered by HLTAs, though some SEc colleagues are getting occasional days.

14. My thoughts exactly. Well said.

15. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Rating your own topic 5 stars? A little generous don't you think?

I'm quite happy in my job actually, supply teaching would be a last resort.