1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching allocation

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Nic588, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Nic588

Nic588 New commenter

Hi, I'm a new hod and wanted to get an idea of the % lessons other hods do. Mine is 80% which seems high? If you could reply with your subject that would be useful too. Thanks in advance.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Smallish school - until recently HoDs had no time allowance, reasoning being that they were paid extra so should expect to do more work. Now moved to 80%, a bit flexible for very small depts. The change has been beneficial. If HoDs have too much time off timetable they may not be able to teach all year groups - and therefore lose touch. I felt that very acutely when I was forced to teach an unbalanced timetable to accommodate some members of the dept who could only teach in limited yeargroups.

3. divine_dodo

divine_dodo New commenter

I'm a new HoD - started this year and I'm on 80% too which is standard. If your lessons are an hour the minimum you should get is 5 PPA a week. I'm MFL.

As Skeoch says, it's good because I teach all year groups (and languages) and so get to see how new SoW etc are working out.

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

NB - not possible to teach all year groups if you are English or Maths. Even though I share Year 12 and 13 with a partner colleague, having me teach every year group would put me on 100%, what with the number of lessons per week.

I'm on about 80% too. Seems to be the standard.

I can empathise with the sense of losing touch, though. It is inevitable to some extent with my subject. Whatever year I'm not teaching (which will always be KS3) I make a point to ensure that I check on them regularly when I meet with the KS3 co-ordinator, and tend to focus on them when doing formal or informal observations, just to ensure I'm in the loop.

5. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I'm the same as jarndyce. I'm on about 85% because we are overstuffed and we have two subject leaders. I am HoD though.

I don't teach KS3 (as of sept 2015). I did try and teach year nine this sept but it became too much for me so it had to be split and only teach them three times over a fortnight which was not ideal. So from sept 2015, I won't be teaching KS3 unless I were to sacrifice a GCSE or A level. But because those two are changing, I made it top priority for me to teach them - lead by example.

The subject leader of English is responsible for KS3. Even though I'm responsible for KS4 and 5, I still oversee KS3 as HoD. I set KS3 targets and let my SL do the meetings and etc and just make sure I catch her up for an hr to make sure everything was discussed as agreed.

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

80% is reasonable enough. You still have a considerate amount of time to carry out your HOD duties. If you feel that 80% is too much... Look at budgeting for your department then consult your line manager and propose the idea that you intend to reduce your teaching allocation so that you can focus on your HOD role and then tell them you have reviewed budgets and you can afford to employ an extra teacher on a part time (maybe FT contract) and this will work effectively.

I wouldn't do this day 1 though... Try at least a term first. Mention it in your review.

7. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

As head of biology I'm also on 80%. I don't teach all year groups due to our high uptake at a-level, but I find I have a good balance between teaching and hod bits with this timetable

8. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

Head of Science, big department, ks3-ks5. 80%, and I find its too much fwiw