1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching agency asking for 5+ references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CoconutLatte, Sep 22, 2020.

1. CoconutLatte

CoconutLatte New commenter

I’m an NQT and applied for a couple of teaching agencies because there’s not many jobs in this area at the moment. Very straight forward. 2-3 references (2 schools, university I went to for PGCE).

I registered for another agency and I gave those 3 references... but now they’re asking for more! I graduated with my BA Hons in 2018 and started my PGCE in 2019. They want references from every place I freelanced with in those few months. They also want a reference from the university I did my bachelors degree. This is a lot of people to bother.

Is this normal? The other agencies didn’t ask for this much.

2. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

Normally it’s your most 2 recent employers and/or uni if you are fresh from it !

3. CoconutLatte

It’s an awful lot, isn’t it? I don’t think I’ll go with them. It can’t be normal asking for 6 references when I’ve only just left university! Especially as they’re not offering a job.

4. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

I’m only with 2 agencies- I signed up with one last September/October and didn’t get anything for weeks until the end of November. So in November I signed up with a 2nd one. And have just stuck with two​

5. CoconutLatte

Thanks for sharing. I think I’ll stay with what I already have!

ajc89 likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Is the agency requiring all these references just deal specifically in teaching, or is part of a general employment agency? if the latter, it seems its recruitment requirements are aimed at people whose jobs involve many short-term contracts. Teachers have had this problem before where agencies have asked them for references from their last five or six teaching positions, which for some might mean going back forty years, with long-dead referees from schools that no longer exist.

7. CoconutLatte

It’s a teaching agency. I’ve decided not to go with them.