1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Agencies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Taveyi, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Taveyi

Taveyi New commenter

Does anyone know how much agencies charge schools for staff. I have been doing supply work with different agencies who all have different rates and I am wondering what fees they charge schools.

Thank you.

2. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Nope, but I would love to know. Once I was told almost double of what they pay to teachers.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Taveyi

Taveyi New commenter

Thank you Jamaimai

4. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Not sure really. I guess it also depends on the school and what they are willing to pay perhaps. Not sure.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Another way for entrepruneurers to milk money off the state. I'm not sure where they come in a list of worst examples of pond slime: after Merchant Bankers, Car Salesman, and Estate Agents? Before PPI companies? Obviously well down the list from politicians.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I negotiated with one of my schools (via the agency, obviously). I had a meeting with the headteacher of that school because I was worried about pay. She showed me (silly woman) the email agreement between the school and the agency. The agency are charging £64 more than I'm getting paid.

Sir_Henry and agathamorse like this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This question has bugged more for ages:
    Many nurses leave the NHS and work for agencies. They get paid more than NHS nurses (61% more, in some circumstances: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...althcare-cuts-temporary-nursing-a8349586.html)

Supply teachers employed through agencies, however, get paid LESS than teachers employed by the school.

Why???

(Of course, in both cases the parasitic agencies are raking it in and costing public services billions).

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When I was a HT signing the cheques it was around £250- £275. But that varied between agencies.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  9. sagesund

sagesund Occasional commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In days gone by the overseas teachers I met had it sussed, If on supply the formed a limited company and if the school used then the school paid them a cheque at the end of the day on the agency rate...or for one lucky man the going rate worked out on 32 weeks pay cycle.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We've stopped using Supply Agency staff... the budget was consumed. The solution is causing tensions...

Unfortunately the cause seems to be traceable back to the creation of PPA and Rarely Cover.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

PPA isn't to blame. When it came in, more teachers (latterly TAs) had to be employed to cover teachers on PPA, but you knew how many lessons that would be and factored it into the budget. It was a known constant. Of course, the government never provided the extra funds, but that was a different issue.

I don't really know WHY supply treacher agencies have multiplied and dominated. Time was, if there was a teacher absence the LA had a list of supply teachers and you worked your way down the list with a phone in your hand until you found one who was available and suitable. Over time, you drew up your own list of 'preferred' supply, but there was always the wider list to fall back on. The only thing going through an agency did was mean someone else did the phoning - but what a price to pay!!

But I guess the LA lists went when education budgets started to be tight, along with schools becoming academies so funds went directly to them rather than to the LA - who then couldn't take a %age for things such as supply lists.

And the result? Schools having to fork out £millions for a service which used to cost a few £s.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

There's a thread finders fees on the Headteacher's forum which states £270 a day for supply, not disputed by other contributors there. I've managed to receive £195 a day as long-term Secondary Maths/ Science in West Yorks for nearly the last 2 years.

As this £195 goes into an UC then that leaves £75 clear profit and from asking around I'm definitely at the top end of pay rates. I strongly suspect that all schools are charged £270 for supply and the actual pay given is purely down to the negotiation and haggling power of the supply.

14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I would love to know how much money changes hands between the agency and the school, when a teacher is asked to do a 'freebie' day (trial days, etc.) Does the agency take the teacher's cut, in addition to their own margin, or do the school and the agency come to some arrangement?

agathamorse likes this.
  15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Why do schools use agencies? There are plenty of Supply Teachers willing to work directly with a school.

The teacher will get more money and at a lower cost to the school.

Its a win/win.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

From my experience, they do not always get more.
    One of the benefits of supply is you are not 'attached' to the school. When school ends many go home just after the kids, That issue used to be a moan of the teachers when I was full time. Supply is only paid to the hour, so if you stay later to mark you do it in your own time(Done that and worn the T-shirt) The school gives you no thanks for that.
    When you are attached to the school on long term supply agencies often only offer a few pounds more per day. Meanwhile, you are expected to work as a member of the school, go to meetings, attend parent evenings, do all the marking and make up the plans.....for little monetary benifit.
    Why should you graft for £130 a day or less or 140 on attached supply( before deductions) when your colleagues get more and you get less. Also, remember that a full-time teacher gets wages based over all the year including holidays, If they worked on a 32 week only, their earnings would outstrip supply on 32 weeks....even if you were lucky to work 32 weeks a year. Even if you find a school that wants you to stay then the agency wacks a finders fee on the school or moves you before you become too settled.
    In days gone by LA paid the going rate to the teacher and took deductions for tax etc ...now agencies do it as LA's do not want the paperwork involved in many cases, So the agencies do it ( or try and pass you off to one of the bucket firms such as a key portfolio),
    So schools often cant offer better wages and secondly they don't want the hassle of another wage slip to sort out. LA schools just handed it to a central point in days gone bye

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

In the 12 years that I was a HT I got one CV in from someone who was looking for supply work. We then had to apply for a DBS and references before we could use her. But we did negotiate a fair and mutually acceptable renumeration.

In answer to your question the key word is convenience. You only have to make one phone call to get someone instead of trawling through a list. The Safeguarding checks have already been carried out as well.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I started a supply role around the October half term in 2011 and was there for the rest of the school year, due to the absent teacher eventually resigning. After 12 weeks in the post I had to switch from agency rate (about £140 a day) to UPS3 scale rate (about £180+ a day) to comply with the agency workers' regulations, on top of which the agency would add their fee.

The school's supply manager did their sums and worked out that it would be cheaper to pay the agency a finder's fee to release me, then employ me directly on scale rate, including NI and Pension contributions, for the rest of the year.

When I was on the £140 a day agency rate I'm pretty certain the school was being charged over £200 a day for me.

I should add that when I was paid scale rate I acted like a 'proper' teacher and did all the usual after hours stuff.

19. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

What is really peculiar is that there was a trend a couple of years ago for agencies to organise external interviews for permanent staff. I had one organise an assistant headteacher role once. Why a headteacher wouldn’t want to sift through the applications I do not know!

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry but this seems all over the place to me.

So PPA and rarely cover aren't the cause but we had to get more teachers in to cover, increasing demand. Yet you say you don't know why the agencies multiplied and dominated even though you say demand for teachers increased. Then you mention LA lists [something I think we should return to] but say education budgets tightened while mentioning academies, failing to connect that it is the academies holding on to the monies that tightened the education budgets. The county I work in scrapped the LA side of things entirely, pushing every school to become an academy, like it or not.

You provide your own answer but don't seem to be connecting them into the dominoes toppling which they are. Even the development of academies was in part a response to the success of the unions in achieving PPA because academies could circumvent the contract situations and foist new terms and conditions on staff. Hence why my employer can ignore PPA if they so wish.

JohnJCazorla likes this.