1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching agencies - college / secondary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Teacher-in-Training42, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Hi everyone

I'm currently doing a teacher training course and hope to have a new placement in September or October allocated to me by my university. However the uni isn't always good at finding people placements, due to me having some problems at my previous placement, it might make it harder for them to decide where to put me.

I have recently applied to a teaching agencies that operates locally to where I am currently living. The have emailed me and asked to arrange an interview. I had a few questions below so if anyone can help with any of them please do:

1) what are teaching agency interviews like...it's the interview before they put me on their records to find me a placement...would you recommend taking my pace folder with me to show them lesson plans etc?

2)How likely is it to find a permanent role through a teaching agency in colleges or secondary schools?

3) I have also applied to a college directly which is local to me for a teaching job hoping that the uni will placement somewhere there if I'm already working there. It's the first time I've done this so I tried to complete the person skills matching criteria evidence as well as I could...could anyone please give any tips on how to complete this sort of application.

Any advice or help is appreciated:)

Many thanks
    Teacher-in-training42

2. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

1. The agency will check the documentation you were asked to bring and ask you to fill in loads of forms. You may also have to stump up for a CRB check. It is not a proper interview. Schools will want to interview you themselves and this is what you prepare for.

2. Quiet possible. Depends of the popularity of the subject / key stage you teach in your area. The main disadvantage is that the school will have to pay the agency a commission for staff recruited through them but not staff recruited directly. Nevertheless if you are better than the other candidates you are likely to get the job

3. Sounds fine. Keep it personal, relevant and not too long. Don't waffle or use meaningless generic statements. 1-2 sides of A4 in a reasonable size font

Teacher-in-Training42 likes this.
  3. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

duplicated in error

4. Teacher-in-Training42

Teacher-in-Training42 New commenter

Do you know if the schools ask for separate references