1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching advert on Sky2

Discussion in 'Education news' started by schoolsout4summer, Jan 16, 2016.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I notice that the Train to Teach advert by the DFE is back on the telly. I thought there was a problem with the false image that it portrayed about teaching and that the £65000 wages claim was also untrue? Raising unrealistic expectations in the gullible?

yodaami2, cissy3, Landofla and 2 others like this.
  2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Yes, yes and yes.

This advertisement has been commented on before. It makes me think about the concept of the big lie.

ScotSEN and prettynails84 like this.
  3. prettynails84

prettynails84 New commenter

Complain to ASA - thoroughly misleading.

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Listen to the wording - it's very vague while making it clear not all teachers would get that much. I suspect it sneaks past ASA guidelines.

5. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

This advert really bugs me!

They have changed the advert now to include the £22k starting salary minimum but it's still terribly misleading. Someone else on here created a thread with the statistics relating to tchrs earning £65k a year and it was shocking.

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Perhaps a new advertisement.

Enjoy bungy jumping?
    Try Teaching.
    Its more exciting.

images-16.jpg

images-17.jpg

You don't always get a rope.

whitesnow21c likes this.
  7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Like many adverts doesn't it smack of desperation?

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It makes me want to throw heavy objects at my own telly.

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It received complaints earlier in the year (there is a thread on here somewhere)
    See also eg http://schoolsweek.co.uk/complaint-...ecruitment-advert-received-watchdog-confirms/

But that was re the 65k salary.

I agree. It's ridiculously unrealistic.

10. Landofla

Why don't they improve tchr's salaries full stop rather than tempting graduates, of certain subjects, with busaries higher than their proposed salary post-qualification? I have heard about Maths grads just doing the PGCE for the £30k, with no intention whatsoever of becoming a tchr. Disgusting.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes indeed - who could have foreseen that happening (answer: anyone with half a brain)?

sabrinakat, wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

yasf likes this.
  13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Wow @JL48

I don't know whether to belly-laugh, or be copiously sick.

indusant and JL48 like this.
  14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Still a fat lie - he got to go to bed at a reasonable time, he got to eat with his OH, he didn't have a massive pile of marking to do and he was wearing ELBOW PATCHES?

15. Landofla

Omg @JL48 that makes me furious inside. Would have been the perfect moment to snapchat TeachFirst. I was sat at a child's desk, marking books, alone and after over 10 hours at school...

yasf and JL48 like this.
  16. marlin

marlin Star commenter

:eek:

What's worrying is a wardrobe mistress (if such a position still exists) honestly thought that these were an essential part of a male teacher's clothing. :confused: Sounds like a good idea for a poll? :D

As for the advert - hmm - more like a John Lewis ad. You too can change your sheets and room décor and change your life! :p

17. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

to be fair, the video on TES cuts off about an inch of the right of the screen.

If you watch it on Youtube, he does have marking next to his plate of food.

Nonetheless . . .

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Very clever advert to show before and after....shame the school kids wear different uniform,and even then dont look like your b og standard secondary and when was the last time you sat with kids to eat your sandwich.i used to but as primary teacher was to busy marking work..and most staffroom's are devoid of teachers as they work at their desk.
    Life used to be a lot like that with time to sit and stare and laugh at meal times....or indeed time to chat to other teachers other than about work.

19. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

...As these adverts are broadcasting this fantasy, teaching today continues to destroy the health and well-being of real people. Sickening.

20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Yes, the advert portrays a teaching fantasy to the gullible - government propaganda.