1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sarahlins_92, May 11, 2020.

1. sarahlins_92

sarahlins_92 New commenter

Hi, i currently live in the UK but i wanting to go and teach abroad. It is something i have always wanted to do. I have a Level 6 childcare qualification, and a EYTS (Early Years Teacher Status).

Has anyone any advice they can share on their experience of moving from the uk to America?

How did you find your teaching job, and how long did the process take?

Many thanks in advance.

2. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

America (I assume you mean USA), where jobs are like unicorns. Brexit unicorns.

Well ok they do exist but main advantage of being 1. British 2. Native speaker of English mean nothing, actually less than nothing in the USA. I tried - due to an American I had a relationship with. Was far easier to get a new GF than a job lol.

T0nyGT and TeacherMan19 like this.
  3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I'm also not sure how far those qualifications transfer into the international teaching market. International schools will sometimes require a degree and PGCE (or similar) in order for people to qualify for visas.
    This might not be every country but certainly is some.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear sarahlins_92, yes, it is indeed possible for a British-trained teacher to get a job in the U.S.A. But is this easy? Is it a good idea? I think that most posters on this TES forum would probably give a loud "No!" to both of those questions.

I have taught in the UK, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE, Qatar, China and finally Bulgaria. I suppose you might call me one of the "old hands" in international schools. Now it is true, I must admit, that have not taught in the States, but I have had quite a few American colleagues in various schools around the world and they all have, more or less said the same things. What have they said?

1. It is difficult to get a teaching job in the USA because there are plenty of American teachers who would like to have a job. Why should an American school give a job to you, a foreigner?

2. There are some significant differences between the American curriculum (or curriculums) and the British curriculum. Different states in the US do not have the same requirements.

3. Some parts of the US have "closed shop" arrangements with the American teaching unions.

4. International schools often give teachers an apartment or an accommodation allowance. American schools do not do this.

5. International schools usually provide flights each year for you and for your family. American schools do not do this.

6. International schools usually pay for things like visa costs, medicals and freight. American schools do not do this.

7. International schools sometimes (not always, alas) pay tax-free salaries. American schools do not do this.

8. Most international schools provide comprehensive medical cover for their teachers and their families. Most American schools do not fo this or else they have "co-pay" arrangements for their teachers. (As medical bills in the USA can be extortionate, any sort of "co-pay" arrangement might prove to be very, very expensive.)

The world is a big place, sarahlins_92, so what is so special about teaching Uncle Sam's nephews and nieces?

I think that the present occupant of the White House is not in a hurry to welcome more foreigners to the USA. But hey, it could be that all of those exaggerated stories about nearly 28 million people in America having no medical insurance, school shootings, the opiod epidemic, appalling obesity, hate crimes and Donald Trump are all just "fake news". Maybe everything is fine and dandy in the good ol' U. S. of A.

tb9605, Duraz and geckopoo like this.
  5. BahrainB

BahrainB New commenter

You could try being a governess in a private family. There are frequently jobs advertised in the U.S .

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The Hipster is absolutely correct, as usual. I’d only emphasize the incredible difficulty of obtaining a visa. Everything about getting a job in the US is hard, and that might be the hardest.
    As for being a governess, I don’t know how much it appeals to work those sorts of jobs. Bad hours. Crazy expectations. Privileged children and parents. Not to mention that the truly fancy jobs require qualifications beyond and beyond. Sports winners, trilingual, curriculum experts, Oxbridge grads sort of overachievers.

7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

It can be done, but as others have mentioned it is difficult. Largely because the school would have to sponsor you, and most won't.

There are some international schools in the US that hire overseas teachers - both a chain of British ones, and several non British ones that tend to recruit through Search Associates. In both cases, however, your apparent lack of a degree would probably be a deal breaker.

Finally, there if also something called (or was called) VIF. There used to be a long running thread which discussed the program called Hig and Wee's VIF Hot-tub... but it seems to have been long abandoned. Maybe you could try to resurrect it ? That said, if you don't have a degree, I would imagine that would still be an issue.

Good luck !

8. myothername

myothername New commenter

You need a Bachelors degree (at least) to teach preschool in American public schools. You could get a degree in the UK first, then try for a position in a few years.

It would be very difficult, and probably impossible, to get a visa for this non-shortage area with your current level of qualification, but you could always get a degree in the UK first, then try in a few years.

You are probably qualified to work in a center or a Head Start program without a degree, but the pay and benefits are very, very low. None of those places are going to sponsor a visa for you because there are many Americans without degrees who want those jobs, and they are all willing to work for low wages/limited benefits. There is no advantage for an employer in undergoing an expensive and difficult visa process to bring a low-skilled worker for a job where there are already so many people in the country who already want the job.

But. My sister-in-law used to nanny in the US, and she was with a family she adored for a number of years. It can work out if you do your homework.

Why not sign up with a reputable nanny placement agency? You could find a live-in position with better benefits than any other job you are qualified to do in early childhood jobs in the US. I think being British would actually work to your advantage in the US as a nanny.

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

[​IMG]

T0nyGT likes this.