1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tommy02uk, Mar 20, 2016.

1. tommy02uk

tommy02uk New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently a Maths teaching in the UK in my second year of teaching. Like many I am a bit fed up. I am looking for a new adventure.
    At the minute I have no idea where I would like to teach, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Dubai etc.
    Could people please give me their thought/experiences of teaching abroad. Workload, salary, living expenses etc.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from everyone.

2. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

You're a bit late for Dubai i think. ADEC have already been to the UK this year. You can try intelligentpartners.com to see if they are still recruiting. I don't know the salary but it should be good there so long as you have housing as it's quite expensive to rent in Dubai you have to pay up to 12 months rent in advance or something. So make sure you will be able to get a place to live in if you decide to go there. I worked at ADU without a masters degree in 2007 and was paid 12000AED per month with a free room in a villa.

3. tommy02uk

tommy02uk New commenter

That's great thank you for you advice

4. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I would search international jobs advertised on here tbh as there are,still a fair few (although I've been looking at primary) and if something catches your eye then research it. There is a good threw on here about Oz and lots of detail about how to Get teaching there. Lots of the ads state salary and if not ask. And a quick google can give good idea of living costs.

Good luck

5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

We're in Taiwan and love it. Great quality of life, cost of living is reasonably low. Good salary and package. If you want to know more you can start a conversation with me. It's too late for recruitment this year but keep an eye out on TES Jobs from November 2016 - February 2017.

6. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

I've started a 'conversation'...

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

There are 61 Maths teacher jobs advertised as of this moment in the TES international section, so although recruitment did start back before Christmas, you are by no means too late now. You obviously won't have your pick of the best places, but some very good schools are still looking.

Do your research as best you can (which can be hard to do when you don't have contacts) - keep your fingers crossed that you end up at a half decent school and you won't look back. Contracts are mostly for two years, so if you don't like it, you move on with a cheery smile and hopefully a good reference.

For what it's worth - I will not be returning to teach in the UK - been out for 13 years now and it was the best decision I ever made.

Workload - can be very heavy (not always) but the teaching is far more satisfying
    Salary - often significantly better than the UK, once you take into account cost of living and package extras (although I hear not in Western Europe). I have saved in every location, I have worked in.
    Quality of life - significantly higher in every place I have been and I suspect, despite the lower salaries, probably also the case in Western Europe
    Places - where do you fancy? Asia probably best for lifestyle/travel, ME for salary, Europe for closeness to home (personally I wouldn't choose NZ or Aus)

One big possible negative (and you should reflect on how important this is to you) - job security - you are in private education. Your face doesn't fit and your contract will not be renewed. Take it on the chin and move on with good grace, if you can. If you know you are a good teacher, you will find another job.

There are other negatives - but the positives FAR outweigh them.

Two years into teaching, you are probably still youngish - the world is your oyster - my only regret, I didn't leave earlier.

Personally, if I were choosing first time out again, I would go for Asia.

(On second thoughts, maybe I shouldn't post this - don't want the market flooded when I look for my next job!)

Mrs_St and zdaea like this.
  8. Sherbear320

Sherbear320 New commenter

Maths is a subject needed in NZ mostly in Auckland. Send your CV to agency many heads go to UK you can always come over on a work visa which is cheaper than pr so if you do t like it no real loss. I love it workload lot less kids nicer

9. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

Maths - always needed worldwide. If you are experienced in Maths teaching and would like to spend some time overseas, you couldn't do worse than Cape Town. Many excellent state and independent schools! SACS, Wynberg, Herschel, Reddam House, Bridge House, Somerset College, Bishops to name but a few ... I taught at Reddam House and still rue the day I left ...

10. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I've started a conversation with you.

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am sure that lovely.lady will look after you, tommy02uk.

12. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

Auckland (NZ) lacking Maths teachers at the moment ...

13. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I thought you needed to get sponsored by a school in Aussie and NZ if you want to get a work visa, And as there are loads of teachers already in Aussie and NZ, they don't sponsor. Is this true?