1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mainwaring, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Some international schools will accept you as an NQT. Many prefer at least two years experience. There are posters on the forum who could advise you about teaching in state schools in those countries. Your title and question are too vague. People are more likely to respond if you make your enquiry more specific, e.g. 'Teaching in France or Spain. Have you done a forum search for each country? A lot has been posted on Spain.

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

My colleagues tell me that teaching jobs in Spain do not pay well. As an NQT, you would be the bottom of the heap. Add in the relatively high cost of living, if you are in a big city, and you could be in serious financial trouble.

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I would suggest, after Mr Camerons gaffe yesterday at PMQs, that you use the word lady or, at a push, woman. Teaching broads these days has too many connotations with 1930's Chicago.

PC Perce

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

to do what? dance, sing? I concur with Percy, you need to use use less volatile language. Can I teach a lady to dance the foxtrot? Can I teach a woman to appreciate the finer elements of football strategy?
    Begs the question, why are you asking, surely you're the one who will know your own limits.
    [​IMG]

5. I'd say as an NQT the low salaries in Spain are a bit easier to stomach than as a more experienced teacher. There are lots of schools in Spain so I'm sure you could find some who would take on an NQT. The downside would be that they may not/probably wouldn't support you as much as a UK school e.g. providing a mentor, lesson observations, time to meet up with other NQTs, PD courses. And of course it wouldn't count as your induction year. Depends how secure you feel in your own abilities as a teacher and what your other options are I guess. I'm glad I did a couple of years in a UK school before teaching abroad.