1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad with kids

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Kittyannel09, May 17, 2019.

1. MrsCurious

MrsCurious New commenter

Sure no problem. You'll have to PM me first as I don't think I have those rights yet. FYI it is easy to take a male dependent to Singapore and some other parts of Asia, it is very difficult to do so in many parts of the UAE! I gave up on the middle east for this (and a few other) reasons.

2. Mrs_CS

Mrs_CS New commenter

Hi! Sorry about the late reply. It has been half term here so I have been busy facilitating my 3 years olds' social life! I don't think I can PM you as when I click on your profile there isn't an option available. Maybe I don't have the rights yet either. I will try and figure it out and then get back to you!

Thank you.

3. MrsCurious

MrsCurious New commenter

If you can’t just ask me on here!

4. Superwoman3

Superwoman3 New commenter

Noted:) thank you

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A previous poster noted that although your children's school fees will be covered (or partly covered) by the school, the extras will not be. And boy oh boy do some schools have extras (and extra extras, as well as additional ones and then some more!) School uniforms can be extortionate, not to mention all of the stationery charges, exam fees, registration fees and then lots of other rather pricey things that I cannot remember.

One of the major advantages of teaching in SE Asia, if you have children, is that childcare is MUCH cheaper and easily available. A good ayee is a jewel beyond price. An American lady colleague invested heavily in her ayee, in terms of patiently explaining to her exactly what she wanted, and she was rewarded with hard work, total honesty and dedication from her ayee. Her two children adored their ayee and they also learned lots of Mandarin, as a useful by-product!

6. mrshamone

mrshamone New commenter

Hello,

I have recently had the opportunity to go to Singapore with my school as we are opening a branch there. I was very impressed and I am considering a move there next year too but not with my current employer! I am open to Asian destinations generally, not only Singapore.

I have three children between 5-9 yrs old (yes, it’s busy..) and I have also been wondering about the appeal of a teacher bringing a spouse and three children. Personally, it would mean a longer commitment in my eyes as I wouldn’t want go through all the upheaval for all of us too often. The reason I am looking at a move now is there are less opportunities moving forward where I am and a better quality of life in an international environment.

I am currently in Japan and have been for the past 10 years and we are an international family as my wife is Japanese. My children attend the local Japanese school and are bilingual but their English is worsening with age and my time is limited due to pretty long hours so I am seeking an environment for them to receive an education in English and to provide myself with more opportunities to progress my career.

I have had a fairly unique career path so far, starting out as a secondary school Media and English teacher in London before looking abroad and moving to Japan. I have been working for an international preschool as a teacher, trainer, recruiter, marketer so have accrued lots of skills but I’m not sure where I may fit! I’m happy teaching any age group but I’m most interested in returning to the secondary level. I shall post this in the career forum too I think.

I’d be very interested to hear about any experiences of moving with a family between languages and countries and how it turned out if anyone reads this and can offer advice.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, mrshamone.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

You are looking at one of, if not the most competitive cities on the planet AND you have 3 kids. That makes you a very expensive hire. Best of luck @mrshamone.

yasf likes this.
  9. Mrs_CS

Mrs_CS New commenter

Hi! Have you made the move and started your new job in Singapore? How are you finding it? Hope the move went well!