1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad with kids

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Kittyannel09, May 17, 2019 at 10:27 PM.

1. Kittyannel09

Kittyannel09 New commenter

Hi,

In a few years I am hoping to start applying for jobs abroad but I will have two children. Would this be a problem getting. Job?

Claire

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

3. 24hours

24hours New commenter

It would be naive to think that some schools who offer free accommodation/flights etc as part of the package don’t take the family circumstances into consideration when comparing like for like candidates.

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Generally no. But take into consideration Search held a job fair for singles and teaching couples only back in October. This trend is apparently set to continue but not overtake. In this tight economic market its an understandable business strategy and if everything on the CV is on par, it would make sense to go for a single rather than a family of 3, 4..5 with only 1 teaching spouse.

There are thousands of schools popping up every month so there are lots of opportunities.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 3:45 AM
  5. 576

576 Established commenter

My last school was definitely favoring families over singles. We thought the reasoning was you're more likely to hang around, in order to give the children stability. Wasn't always true but...

24hours likes this.
  6. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

It can be a problem, but it doesn't have to be. Some schools don't bat an eye and even favour families as we are less likely to move after one contract again. But the bottom line is that with some schools it comes down to money and we are simply more expensive than a single teacher.

From personal experience, I wasn't offered a job in my top location due to the fact that I have dependents (one child plus trailing spouse). The interviewers definitely wanted me, and I was even headhunted for the position, but they couldn't get it past the board to accept me as a more expensive hire compared to a single teacher.

Don't forget - your children will also take spaces of fee paying children away and this can be a deciding factor in oversubscribed schools, as you are in effect losing them money. And then there is the extra for visa, flights, medical etc.. This is something you should definitely look out for when applying. Ensure that all these things are covered for yourself as well as your family. Which is costly... But don't lose hope, as I said some schools need to watch their expenses others not.

7. Rowennamenzies

Rowennamenzies New commenter

I have worked abroad a fair bit (one child) but am finding less interest in my applications now (2 children). Several people have mentioned it in interview (asked me about child care plans etc.) Suspect they would be way less concerned if I was male? Also, my children are young; possibly big kids are less of a concern to employing schools.
    In general, bigger Tier 1 schools are set up to accommodate families and have family friendly/equal opportunity policies.
    Re. school fees - many schools do NOT offer full fees for 2 kids (unless teaching couple) so that’s always worth checking. A 50% co-pay for child 2 can be a LOT.
    Search associates actually lists the employee/child policy per school.
    I think that parents can offer another aspect of care and enrich a teaching body; the best schools recognise this.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It is not sensible (or safe) to have your photo and your real name on any sort of Internet forum, Rowennamenzies. This is something that the TES Moderators try to discourage and so they can help you to change it.

As you may have guessed, I am not actually a hippopotamus. (Really I am a giraffe, but please don't tell anyone.)

9. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

It really depends on a number of factors.
    • How much do they want you? If you’re a highly experienced physics teacher who has a stellar record with HL IB, and coached the basketball team that won the county championship, then the number of kids will be less of an issue than if you’re a 5th Grade teacher with three years’ experience...
    • The attitude of the head is also important. Our former head was loath to hire teachers with trailing spouses and kids because, in his experience, they struggled on the salary and left after a couple of years. And the kids took up places that could be filled with fee-paying alternatives. The current head doesn’t seem to mind, and the salary and housing allowance has increased, and the building program lets us take more kids per grade...
    • In my experience, non-profit schools tend to have a better record in this respect...

10. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

My name really is Mike Tribe and I have never had a problem except when about 15 years ago an irate Madrileno headmaster threatened to sue me because I said salaries in Spain were low...

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It is one of the big bonuses of international teaching that your children get a free private education at very little cost to you. But it does have its downside.

Many schools don't want the lose of income in offering a free place to staff children, so its single or young couples they look for.

You may have to put up with a bullying abusive principal as you can not just walk out of the school due to your children been in the school.

Finding a job is also restrictive as your number one priority is finding a good school for your children to study as well as you to work.

I have turned down several good jobs this year because schools where not suitable for my children to continue their education.