1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Abroad with family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by caerowe87, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Hi all,

Looking at the prospects of teaching abroad in either China or UAE.
    Are there any other places I should consider? This is for the end of 2021.

I will have around 3 years online teaching experience- teaching English Language to Chinese children.
    BA English Language & Linguistics
    Trinity College CertTESOL
    MA International Education

Trying to think of something my husband can do abroad, but abit clueless.
    He currently works in healthcare in a hospital as an auxiliary nurse. Degree is BSc Emergency Management & Interoperability.
    Also two children. They will be 12 & 7.
    Starting the research early! Haha.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

OK - first thing is that to say it will be difficult for you at present, not just your husband. Online teaching isn't the same as classroom teaching, and TESOL teaching isn't the same as subject teaching. If you were single or your kids were younger, I'd be suggesting that you could look at some of the bilingual schools in China, but given the kids' ages (especially your eldest, creeping up to IGCSEs) I really wouldn't recommend that.

Presuming you're in the UK, what I'd suggest is that you should consider getting QTS and doing your NQT year in the UK before casting out abroad. You could easily look at training in English with your degree, and then do your year or two for QTS. Again, though, that will bring your eldest up to around the age of IGCSEs and that can be difficult for them - you will also need to be wary of the school as while you might be OK teaching in a school that's a bit rubbish it might not be great for them.

For your husband, some schools might employ him in their clinic or encourage him to look at hospitals around the area - he might well get something there. Most likely though this won't be until you arrive in the country so he will initially be a trailing spouse - making your hire (with 2 kids) quite an expensive one.

I think you're really looking at a two or maybe even three school year process before you start applying. Jobs for 2020/21 are pretty much done and dusted, so you're really looking at August 2021 start date at the earliest, if you can get a school which will do your NQT year. Sorry to be a bit negative - but it's going to be tough for you and it's only really fair to say that, I think.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The biggest issue you will have working in China is paying the 70000GBP school fees for your children's school fees. Then if you are in Shanghai the cost of renting a large family appartment will be 2000GBP/month plus bills. As mentioned the education of your children outside a true international school will be next to impossible.

A typical salary for working for a mickey mouse type English school is 18000rmb/month.

But with the 100s of jobs on offer in the new Bilingual schools anything is possible.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

What people usually do, caerowe87, is to send one of those TES Conversation things to a smelly old hippopotamus, but in this case the stinky pachyderm has sent one to you!