1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad with a small family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by NChamaP, Mar 1, 2018.

?

Are there any good agencies that help teachers with small families teach abroad???

1. Yes there are helpful agencies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Depends on the schools your looking for

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NChamaP

NChamaP New commenter

Good Afternoon,

I wanted to get some professional advice because my husband and I are thinking of teaching abroad. We have a 6 month old girl and we thought it would be best to start early while our little girl is very young. However, we dont know where to start. We wanted to know if there are any good agencies that we can speak to directly and where are the best places to go to if you have a small family. Also I have a PGCE in english/drama but my husband has a QTLS in functional skills but he is currently teaching mostly english. Does schools abroad accept teachers with a QTLS qualification? Any advice and suggestions would be most helpful at the moment. Many Thanks.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Hi

I can't answer your question about agencies. However, our first child was born overseas and we ended up moving back when she was 18th months because we just found it too hard. If you have become accustomed to having a support network of other parents, play cafes, baby and toddler groups, etc, bear in mind that these simply don't exist in some countries at all and that in some places there will be very little to do with very young children. My wife in particular felt very isolated due to the lack of these facilities - and that was in a capital city in western Europe. We also realise that if we wanted another child there would be a logistical issue of who would look after our first born and who would be around (or not) to help with her - something else to consider if you plan to have more children at some point.

Sorry to be negative/cautionary. We are now abroad again, having moved when the kids were 7 and 4, and are very happy here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

My sister had 3 children abroad and although they are settled in New Zealand now, she had no problem at all. She had to leave Spain, mainly because the owner of the school was stealing their tax contributions, but also because it was so expensive to live. The then moved to south america and only earning one wage they still managed to travel lots and have a nanny. It is totally do-able, and many many people have managed it with little or no problems

The only agency i would bother with is Search Associates.

Good luck

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I have three close friends (and several colleagues) who all had kids abroad and have survived perfectly well. We live in SE Asia so domestic help is available at a reasonable rate and is very good. I guess it depends on where you end up. Having a family is certainly not a barrier to working abroad. The issue of grandparents missing their grandchildren comes up a lot, and families missing the support they would normally get by having relatives and friends around. If you really want to do it, just go for it. If things don't end up working out, it's not the end of the world.

Agreed that Search Associates is a good agency to sign up with.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  5. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Hi!

One of the carrots for moving abroad, for us, was the idea that we could offer potential children so much more of the world. We followed through, and it has been a really really positive experience. I have not felt isolated and I've been able to continue working because of our lovely 'helper'. After work and in the holidays, I can devote all my time to playing and reading and exploring with my daughter because I don't need to contend with cleaning, ironing and cooking. I have felt that other parents tend to be very open and that there is quite a warm feeling of everyone being in the same boat. I would recommend (obviously consider location very carefully!)

As far as the question about agencies is concerned, I think you are just as well applying directly to job adverts in TES, for example.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

There are ways to make networks in different countries. And not having grandma down the street for afterschool babysitting is sad, but not a problem per se if you have a full-time nanny as you can in many countries.

7. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

We went overseas with a five year old and had another while overseas. We've worked at three different schools and had a full time housekeeper in each place. We now also have afterschool care in the school. There are negatives, but the positives far outweigh them. My advice would be to stay out of western Europe, in fact stay out of western countries altogether.

8. NChamaP

NChamaP New commenter

This is all very useful.

Thank you all for the sound advice