1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching abroad with a lack of experience

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nqt27, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am about to start my 2nd year of teaching. I qualified via the gtp, but prior to that I completed a PGCE in Post Compulsory Education although I went straight to the gtp afterwards. I would like to teach abroad from Sept 2012 (or earlier if possible). I spoke to someone from a big organisation that runs recruitment fairs and was told that I need 2 yrs experience post qualification at the time of the interviews etc (Jan time), rather than when you start work in September. The lady also told me that there was little chance of me being employed until I had more experience.
    Are there any other organisations that will allow me to attend a recruitment fair, or will schools employ me at this early stage in my career? I am not expecting a much higher wage teaching abroad, but I want at least what I would be earning here. I know in a lot of cases you get free accommodation etc but i have financial committments here too.
    Is there anything I can do to enhance my cv prior to applying for international jobs?
    Thank you for your help.

2. Sorry I can't help really as I am new to teaching abroad, but which organisation was it if you don't mind saying? I remember seeing on one of them that they would actually accept NQTs which I thought most schools wouldn't be looking for anyway. I think that one was cois? Which one did you speak to?

3. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

I am in a similar situation, this will be my 2nd year of full time teaching and I am constantly being told that I need more experience to get an international position. My advice is to try every avenue open to you, including contacting school's directly. It may take time for you to secure a position you will be happy in but just keep going.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Of course international schools prefer to employ teaching staff who are well qualified and experienced, just like schools in the UK. However, we do not live in an ideal world and sometimes vacancies pop up in odd places at starnge times, so my advice would be to keep trying. Yes, you may find it harder to get a job at one of the "top notch" schools, but hey, we have all got to start somewhere.