1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching abroad with 3 children

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nesheehan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. hi all,
    Any advice much appreciated. I am looking almost daily for a new job abroad. This would mean giving up my full time permanent job and moving the family to...........
    I am prepared to do this and can see lots of benefits for my family in the future. Are there any others out there in international schools with families who could offer advice. Am i mad to consider this given the gamble involved in quality of schools.i have read some real horror stories about some schools and also the apparently limited prospects of employment in the UK if we wanted to return. Will i even get a job with 3 dependents and a non teaching spouse? I am an experienced hod and an ast, so can offer a lot to any school - if i can find the right ones.
    Many thanks

2. hi all,
    Any advice much appreciated. I am looking almost daily for a new job abroad. This would mean giving up my full time permanent job and moving the family to...........
    I am prepared to do this and can see lots of benefits for my family in the future. Are there any others out there in international schools with families who could offer advice. Am i mad to consider this given the gamble involved in quality of schools.i have read some real horror stories about some schools and also the apparently limited prospects of employment in the UK if we wanted to return. Will i even get a job with 3 dependents and a non teaching spouse? I am an experienced hod and an ast, so can offer a lot to any school - if i can find the right ones.
    Many thanks

3. Find out where the best schools are and if they wil take you on with the two kids. They are out there and if you sign up to an agency (Search Associates are good), they will have to find you a school that is happy to accommodate the children as well as you.
    Cairo, Dubai, far east, middle east, South America etc. They all have schools that will take you on, but you have to be well qualified with good CVs.

4. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I have known a few families who have come out my way with three dependents, in one case four! who have thrived. All of the places mentioned above have excellent schools who are actually looking at the teacher not the baggage. However, you really need to make sure that you do your homework and be prepared to wait. There are a lot of people out there trying for jobs at the minute.

Percy

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Does anyone else have this experience? From what I understood, schools pretty much started with 'I'm not really a teacher but I like kids a lot' applications and then moved on to families with more than 2 kids when culling CVs. Would be good to hear from other heads on this.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Depends on the school. Some simply can't afford, or would rather not pay the extra, to hire someone with multiple dependents. Times are tough in many places.
    Other places the costs are lower, or the school has more money, and a kinder gentler attitude to go with it.
    Or the teacher is for a high-demand post.
    So in some schools you just don't stand a chance. But in others, enough others to make it worth your while to look, you'll be competing on the basis of your expertise instead of your fertility.
    You can always look at the Qatar Foundation schools. All of them offer full benefits, including tuition at any school in town, for up to 4 children.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, there are some pretty ghastly schools, especially in the MIddle East. That is why you need to join the ISR!