1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad VS teaching in Britain?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by WTDT, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I'm Primary in India. I absolutely love it!

2. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

One is like joining the army to defend your country, accepting low pay, low status and doing stressful work as you want to to your thing for your country. The other is like being a merc for cash, adventure and see the world! Still soldiering but.....

Ok maybe not the best analogy, but worth a thought.

3. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

I also second @ToK-tastic .

I left the UK for many reasons; the main catalyst was that I had a child and the local primary schools were truly awful; the cost of childcare would have been about equal to what I made going to work once everything was accounted for; days were going to be long, and family time short.

I also wanted an adventure. My life in the UK was totally fine and I could see that 10 years later it would still be totally fine. That seemed like a bit of a boring choice however.

I still live a life where I get up early, go to work, go to the supermarket, sit in traffic, do laundry, and all those other normal things. Moving overseas didn't change any of that. But I'm doing it variously against the backdrop of the jungle/mountains/the ocean, and have had some pretty excellent experiences I definitely wouldn't have had in my old Georgian terrace.

amlolex50 likes this.
  4. I am in my second year of teaching abroad. No regrets at all.
    Moving on to another country next year.

Smaller classes and lovely children with quite supportive parents.
    I left a very challenging school which made me question my teaching career after three years there.
    But as someone said earlier, it's different if you are in a decent, supportive school in the UK.

5. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Abroad's better... by far!!!

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Its been about 12 years since a student used the ”f” word at me in class.

When the principal got my email the deputy head went to the students next class, picked the student up by the scruff of his neck, force marched the kid into a waiting taxi, gave the student a letter to stay at home until Monday morning 9am and bring both his parents with him, failure to comply was not an option.