1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEACHING ABROAD THE MIDDLE EAST- PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Miss_Qatar, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hi everyone! Just a wee bit stressed and confused about teaching abroad wonder if anyone could give some adive??
    I'm really wanting to broaden my teaching experience by teaching overseas - in the Middle East.
    I've got a degree in English Language and currently studying for my PGCE (post 16)
    Majority of the jobs advertised for this country are in the secondary field!
    If i stick with my Post 16 PGCE then i could do a TESOL course and look for 'Teaching English as a Foreign Language' jobs...but i've seen jobs being advertised for this who want between 2 - 5 years teaching experience!
    If i embark on a PGCE english secondary this year then i can apply for the abundance of teaching jobs available! however, would i need to complete my 'induction' year in the UK first before they will consider me? Again, between 2-4 years teaching experience is required!
    i was advised that i would be up against other applicants who have alot of teaching experience and just out of uni students don;t even get a look in....
    Didn't know it was going to be this hard..does anyone have advice of how it all works...would be very much appreciated
    Pippy x

2. I currently work in the ME and can give you advice on the procedures and rules for my school in Qatar, PM me for more info!

3. <font size="2">A few years ago I asked a similar question on TES, I didn&rsquo;t get the answer I wanted but looking back I was given the best advice.</font><font size="2">Do your PGCE, then complete at least 2 years in the UK ideally in a good school. The support and training you receive will make you a better teacher and equip you with the skills to handle teaching internationally. </font><font size="2">I ended up teaching much longer than planned in the UK but this has been a definite advantage as I have had many more opportunities abroad because of the experience I gained.</font>
    <font size="2">Good luck!</font>

4. Sorry...I forgot to mention the relevant part, I am currently working in the Middle East :)

5. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Hi Pippy,

I currently work in the UAE as a primary teacher. I would agree with Samurai and complete a minimum of 2 years teaching in the UK. The majority of schools in the ME do not consider applicants with less than 2 years experience. I would also say that some of the schools here do not keep up to date with initiatives in the UK and so the quality of the teaching here can be poor. Plus some staff have been here since the place was built!
    Hope this helps :)

6. I managed to get a job abroad after only 1 year of UK teaching, however I was lucky and the school was good. If you go immediately after finishing your PGDE then unless you are extremely lucky, the only schools that will take you on will be bad schools. Frankly, it's not worth it. I'd rather work at a UK school anyday than a bad school abroad. Some M.E. schools even take your passport from you so you can't run away!

7. thanks guys....all of the advice you have given has been extremely helpful.Samarai wot u said makes alot of a sense and will definately do that before i go out there! thnaks once again :) x