1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching abroad PGCE or TEFL

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Karvol, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It certainly will not harm your application, but as anything, it has to be taken in context.
    If you teach an in-demand subject, then I personally think it will not make any difference to your application.
    Much more important than a TEFL qualification is teaching experience.

2. Thanks, I'm teaching Business Studies & ICT my teaching experience amounts to 2 years with 1 of those years being part of my PGCE. I have also worked in industry as a manager for over 7 years so i'm hoping that counts for something.
    Regards

3. I think the answer depends largely on what kind of institution you are targeting. Proper international schools will generally value a PGCE more, while language schools will value TEFL courses and won't care as much about the amount of experience you have. If you have both a PGCE and TEFL, all the better. Also, don't set your sights too high for your first international job, just try to get a foot in the door.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Some sensible advice from singingzebra, on the whole. Of course there are TEFL qualifications and there are TEFL qualifications, with the CELTA probably being the most widely recognised and valued.
    With regards to getting your foot in the door, I have to take issue with singingzebra. Some so-called "international schools" are so blooming awful that I would not want to put a bargepole in the door, never mind my foot! Unfortunately some of these dreadful places seem to make a habit of luring unsuspecting teachers from the UK who have not taught abroad before. Subscription to the ISR is no guarantee, but it would probably be helpful.